Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

8 happy thoughts

I've been tagged by Lisa at Shower Fresh Garden to list 8 things that make me happy. Actually, this might be relaxing because this sure is a stressful time of year. Getting ready for our big party this weekend, wrapping up things at work (only two weeks until my long break!) and dealing with getting our plumbing problems fixed is taking a toll. So, thinking about good things might be a good thing.

Here are the rules:
When tagged, you must link to the person who tagged you. Post these rules before your list, then list 8 thoughts that make you happy. At the end of your list, you must tag and link 8 other people.

1) Chocolate (any kind!)
2) Reading - It seems that I don't have time to read as much as I'd like but I do love getting into a good book.
3) Movies - especially old movies. The film noir era of the 40s is my favorite.
4) Gardens - not just real gardens but photos of gardens. I can spend hours looking at garden books and gardening magazines.
5) Cats - They comfort me.
6) Birds - Not always a good combination with the above but I do enjoy watching them, especially in the winter. My favorites are the cardinals, goldfinches and hummingbirds. There is nothing more beautiful than seeing a cardinal in the garden with snow on the ground and branches.
7) Baking - mostly a winter activity. Love trying new recipes.
8) The comforts of home - I love being at home, inside on a rainy day, just lounging in my sweat pants and flannel shirt watching tv, reading or maybe in the kitchen baking. My favorite times are the rare occasions when we get snow and get a few days off from work. Those are magical times for me.

Now, time to get back to the real world! I'll tag the following bloggers:

Pam at Digging
Chuck at Whoreticulture
Christopher at Outside Clyde
Annie at Transplantable Rose
Lost Roses
Rurality
Sky at Between
Carol at May Dreams

Comments

  1. I think I can come up with 8 happy thoughts. Eating some of your baked goods could be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn it Phillip you are showing your age. Sex did not even make the top 8??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie also tagged me for this one so I''d better quit being a grouch and think about some good answers- it will take awhile, though, Phillip!!

    Although Davo's comment has taken care of one of them.

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realized I was tagged. I can come up with a lot of happy thoughts!

    Carol, May Dreams Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still working on it... these things take me forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice list.

    and LOL at davo's comment. When I got tagged I wondered just how G rated I had to keep it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts