Translate

Friday, September 26, 2008

Manettia (Firecracker vine)



{{{ Thanks to Marnie of Lilacs and Roses, the mystery is solved - it is Manettia (Firecracker Vine) - thanks Marnie!}}}

I am hoping a knowledgeable visitor can identify this vine. This is a very special plant to me. It was given to me by my great-aunt who passed away last Saturday and ironically, it first bloomed this past week. I saw it in her garden years ago and it was smothered with orange-red tubular blooms. She gave me a piece of it this spring and it is growing very fast.

She had a remarkable garden with a huge border of perennials and a large collection of daylilies. Her daughter is still caring for the garden and she tells me that a garden group is coming next spring to see it. I will have to do a post about her garden in the future.

Back to the vine - the blooms look similar to honeysuckle but unlike that vine, the shoots are not woody. The blooms are tubular and long, sure to be a delight with the hummingbirds, and are dark orange-red color. My aunt grew it on a rustic tripod which was about 4 feet high. I'm growing mine on a mini-trellis that is about six feet tall.

Share/Bookmark
Post a Comment