Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Weeping Cherry

(Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula')

This tree is planted right next to the house, right beside the patio. We have to remember to look up to see it. It is really spectacular this year.







Stay tuned for the Yoshino Cherry trees!

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Very pretty. There is one of these on my way to class here on campus and I was excited to see this morning that the first buds are just starting to open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, this would certainly draw your eye up. I bet the bees are buzzing all around this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Weeping Cherries. Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what about your vistas out back? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I'd love to see the cherry blossom festival in Vancouver. The trees are just so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe you'd ever forget to look up to see this!

    Lucy

    P.S. How amazing; word verification never says a word - but this one says 'silly'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree is gorgeous! It's a magic time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just beautiful! I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hardy in my area, most cherries are not.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. How absolutely gorgeous, Phillip! I love that delicate pink colour. They remind me of our apple orchards here in the Annapolis Valley which will be awash with that same blush pink sometime in May.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so beautiful against the blue sky! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really is Phillip! Did you order the perfect blue sky to go with it! gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful canopy of color! My viburnum (don't know species) has a ton of fragrant pink blooms this year--more than ever before. It's heavenly. Looking forward to the Yoshino photos. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning it is! and yeah, I'll stay tuned for the cherries.

    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  14. love these trees this time of year.. who doesn't. i love standing in a petal storm when the wind whips up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Philip, this is splendid! It's too windy/chilly up here for such beauties, but I sure love yours. Happy spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaahhmmmmm.... Errrmmm..... Uhhhh.... I can't quite find a word to describe its beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your home is so beautiful but especially now. Hugs to you today. You have convinced me to get a white picket fence. That didn't take much convincing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts