Friday, August 20, 2010

GGW Photo Contest - On The Road Again

The theme for the August Gardening Gone Wild Photo Contest is "On The Road Again" in which you choose a photo you took away from home. 


In 2007, I had the chance to visit Washington D.C. to see Dumbarton Oaks, a garden that has greatly impressed and influenced me. It was August, not the best time to visit a garden, and the heat and humidity made me feel like I never left Alabama. The heat didn't deter my excitement and I was fascinated to finally see the great garden created by owner Mildred Bliss and famed landscape architect Beatrix Farrand in person.


Looking over my photos, I chose the following one which was taken in the cutting garden.





If you'd like to see more photos of Dumbarton Oaks, here is my old blog post.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Beautiful part of the garden no doubt. Good luck with this photo.

Caroline said...

Gorgeous! Good luck.

Caroline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Great shot and good luck!

John said...

Very nice! Now that's my kinda garden...

healingmagichands said...

Beautiful shot of a beautiful garden. Funny how the best planned gardens often look the most casual when you are standing back to look at them. This is my favorite kind of garden, lots of color spread out and intermingling. I like the roof of the gazebo in the back ground, inviting me back there.

gardenwalkgardentalk.com said...

Very beautiful garden and photo. Love to have this garden for my own.

Jeff Branch said...

Good photo choice, but in looking at the original post, I bet you had a hard time with the selection, since all of them were great.

Gail said...

Sunny gardens always make me smile~This is a beautiful garden and photo PHillip~good luck, gail

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Lovely shot! I would love to visit Dumbarton Oaks. I'm an admirer of the designs of Beatrix Farrand.