Translate

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Experimenting with night photography

We are still snowed in and I'm not complaining. The hardest part is trying to decide what to do - do I want to work on a website, bake, watch a movie or read? Decisions, decisions. I love being cooped up like this. The light inside the house from the bright snow reflecting from outside is so wonderful. It gives me such a comforting and peaceful feeling.

Last night, I took some photos out the window using really long exposures. Here are the results.

This photo was taken from the dining room window. I think this Japanese Maple (Booskoop Glory) is one of the most beautiful trees in the garden when covered with snow.



Looking out another dining room window, this one facing north, is the little garden underneath a Yoshino Cherry tree where I have an urn fountain. That is a dentist's office across the street from us.



Another window, another room, still looking north. Our little vegetable garden is to the left and the urn fountain garden is to the right.



Below, this photo was taken looking out the front glass storm door. The vine hanging from above is Jackson Vine (Smilax smallii) and the conifer directly ahead is Colorado Blue Spruce. The lumps on each side, in front of the mailbox, are the lion statues. The shadows are from a street light.



I had to step out on the front stoop to get this shot, looking across the front garden toward the street light. The tree on the right is a Heritage River Birch and the tree to the left is an October Glory Maple.



I really appreciate the comments about my photography but of course, I'm never satisfied. I have a question for people who use Blogger. I find that after I make my postings, my photos are not as crisp and sharp as they are beforehand. Does anyone know why this is and what to do about it? I don't upload my photos from Blogger but put them on my server and link to them that way. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Share/Bookmark
Post a Comment