Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Finding bargains

I felt like I hit the jackpot this morning when I drove by Home Depot and noticed some very nice boxwood topiaries outside the front entrance with a markdown sign in front of them. Upon further inspection, they were only $5.97 (the salesgirl said the original price was $44.00!). I snatched up all four of them. Two are green and the other two were variegated.  One was even in a nice faux-terra-cotta container. One of the green ones was a tad lop-sided but other than that, I didn't see anything wrong with them.


I potted the green ones in the containers outside the front door and put the variegated ones on the patio. Made my day!





Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Did they explain why they wanted to get rid of then so cheaply?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really great deal and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, no but it is common for both Lowe's and Home Depot to make things down to get rid of them. It is usually at the end of the season when they are making room for new plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! I once scored a sale at Lowe's where every perennial was $1. I was in heaven!! Bonus good luck on the free pot. :o) Happiness for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! I saw a similar boxwood deal today, and while I had to go home to 'think' on it, I think I need me some buxus too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phillip,

    Good find. You might even get a better deal behind the store. I find tossed out plants often at one of our HDs. A few years ago I got 3 -1 gallon camellias for $10.

    oh this word verification is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lucky duck. What a snag. I love those varigated shrubs and of course you can't beat a green boxwood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good bargain and this is an amazing one! Good find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I worked at a HD competitor that is no longer in business. My boss told be to throw out all of the Japanese Maples because the leaves had come off and he needed the room for Christmas trees. I asked if I could have a few to try and "re-vive" them, and I got 3 for $5.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find. I got almost $200 of skypencils, rhodo, gardenia & Encores for a little over $18 at Lowe's last fall. Since I'd just had knee surgery I put them in my greenhouse. I found out field rats love gardenia's. Hopefully those nubs will come back out. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. They needed your loving touch! A good end to the weekend for you and the boxwoods!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent bargins! They look great and I think you made good choices.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts