Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Getting ready

The garden tour is one week away and I'm telling you now our garden is not the best for an early spring tour. We are actually having a late spring. The dogwoods aren't even blooming yet! Most of the trees have not leafed out and there is very little in the way of flowers. On the plus side, I've never done so much work in the garden this early! There is still quite a bit to do before next week.

I got a lot accomplished today. It was a gorgeous day!

I bought some plants this morning for the pots. The garden centers around town were super busy. Everyone is ready for spring!

A calla lily we picked up at Lowe's.

Caladium "Little Miss Muppet" for the bed at the base of the waterfall.

Swan River Daisies - there were four in a large pot and they flopped when I removed them so I have them tied for the moment.
Lobelia for the chandelier planter. I haven't had much luck with lobelia in the past so I'm not sure about this but I wanted something full for instant effect.
I cleaned the water features and turned on the pumps.
The urn fountain installation went smoothly - what a relief that was.
I took a few minutes after supper to take some photos of plants blooming right now. Totally forgot the Kerria which is spectacular but I will try and get that later.

Money Plant (Lunaria annua)


Azalea 'Koromo Shikibu'


Celandine Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum)

Mohawk Viburnum (Viburnum x burkwoodii  'Mohawk')

Candytuft (Iberis)

Jacob's Ladder "Stairway to Heaven" (polemonium reptans)

Jacob's Ladder "Stairway to Heaven" (polemonium reptans)

Several late daffodils are blooming (I don't recall the name)


Spanish Bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica)
A returning tulip


The Weeping Cherry (Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula') over the patio is spectacular.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Phillip, I saw your post that you needed help weeding. as I was over in Tuscumbia today, I almost ran by your house to pull a few weeds just to say I "helped". But I was too pooped.
    Your garden looks great no matter the season. I'm sure it will for the tour as well. And I hope to see it next weekend. You never know; with the super warm temps we are expecting next week, everything may burst out at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phillip the daff looks like one I have called Geranium.
    With all the stress, things will turn out fine. Good luck if I don't make the tour. I've got a lot to do, and been working the late shift, so too late to do anything when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring is slow here too. Despite all that your garden seems to have lots going on. I love the new urn fountain. Beautiful pot for that. You will have your garden ready for summer and you will be able to relax more and enjoy it. Good luck with the tour. I know people will be thrilled to see your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're really brave to take part in a tour. I don't think I could do it, not because of the hard work that goes into getting ready, but I just don't think I'd want to overhear what people say. But it's helpful and/or necessary to be there to answer questions and keep an eye on possibly errant visitors.

    It looks like you have plenty of flowers, and they're all so pretty. I absolutely love your rusty chandelier planter. Have you posted about how you put it together? Is it just a chandelier that conveniently had a spot for a plant? Or did you have to alter it in some way?

    Good luck on the tour! I'm sure people will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cyndia, I hope you are right!

    Mary, that name does sound familiar, I think it is Geranium.

    Alison, it was an old chandelier that a friend gave us and we turned it into a planter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the urn fountain! That Azalea is very interesting, too, I have never seen one with flowers that "spidery".

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will be our first stop on the tour, I'm so excited! This warm week ahead might speed up spring blooms a little.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on the tour. To me, it looks like you have a lot of blooms already, and some beautiful features. But I hope by then things are a bit warmer, and you have a lot of spring blooms, just so that you are satisfied. I absolutely love the chandelier planter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Phillip, I would be in a panic too! But somehow it all works out, and I'm sure it will be lovely. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all lookig great Philip! Remember, the people who are comig to visit are gardeners too and they will come away with great ideas. Think of the plants that some folks will see for the first time in your garden, the wonderful garden memories that you're helping to create. Good for you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I love that pot for the new fountain. That chandelier is stunning and what a great selection for a eye popping plant/flower. Hope you have a great turn out for the tour. I just updated my blog so check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love love the lobelia in the chandelier! I want it! Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoping to finally see your garden in person Phillip! Crossing my fingers for sure! Don't work too hard, let the garden do most of it!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG...the idea of someone coming to my garden right now is horrifying!!! Yours looks amazing, though...I'm sure it will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You all are SO ahead of us "up here"! Wish I could board a jet plane and be there for the garden walk!

    The chandelier planter is gorgeous... my fingers are itching to tuck a new plant or two between some rocks :)

    Enjoy & don't stress. It all looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts