Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Abyssinian gladiolus

Gladiolus murielae  
This is the first time I've grown these bulbs. I just picked them up at Home Depot early in the spring. Gladiolus murielae is also known by a variety of common names including "Peacock Orchid," "Sword Lily," "Acidanthera" and "Fragrant Gladiolus". It is native to the mountain areas of East Africa. They grow about 2 feet tall and bloom in late summer. They are supposedly hardy in our zone (zone 7). So far, not as much profuse bloom as I'd hoped but there has been a scattering of blooms during the past weeks.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. What a beautiful flower & photo, dear Phillip!!

    Gerri xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like lilies a lot but not sure I like that black in the center. I guess it is black, maybe really dark purple?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they need a year or so to get established. They do have a pretty bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I discovered these last year and they have quickly become a favorite. My bulbs from last year survived the winter in a pot. I bought more this year and have put some of the bulbs in the ground. I love them because they are fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've grown these for years and anxiously await their beautiful fragrance all summer. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of them, but after your photo, I will start looking for them now! Thanks for the introduction! Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried those a few years back,here in Florida.They didn't bloom profusely,but they were beautiful when they did.But they didn't come back the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful blossom. These are new to me and I'm anxious to see some my sister has growing. Great photo....makes me want to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Phillip, I hope they come back for you next year and bloom profusely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts