Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Hummingbird frenzy



I know, this doesn't look like much of a frenzy but we have more hummingbirds this year than I can ever recall. This feeder is on the patio and I only see one hummingbird on it. However, on the north side of the house, outside our kitchen window, is where the action is. We have counted at least 8 hummers at one time and in past seasons only one or two. I added a second feeder to alleviate the traffic and it just seems to be growing. They are so much fun to watch.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Wow. That is a lot of hummers for in the city. We only get 3-4. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I love watching the little critters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amusing to watch when one little bird decides it is HIS feeder and tries to keep everybody else run off.

    You are to be commended for supplying nectar. Daily keeping feeders clean and filled became a hated chore here, so I just planted more living nectar sources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty feeder. I used to hang one out, but I have a lot of nectar sources, so I ultimately decided to just go with those. They are so much fun to watch, we get a lot of them here in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the most beautiful hummingbird feeder I've ever seen. Is it an antique?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danger, no it is not antique. You can buy them here at Lowe's, Home Depot and Wal-Mart. They also have a clear one and a red tinted one I would like to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures...pretty feeder. Master Gardeners program this month was attracting them to your garden. The "expert" says for every one you have, multiply by 5 or 6 and that's how many is your yard. Also said 15 September is the peak of birds for our area...North Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Edith, that is good to know! I figured we had more than we thought all along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of hummer action here in TN too. Their favorite plants seem to be the Coral Honeysuckle vines - Lonicera sempervirens. If you're looking for a natural feeder to add to this man-made one, that's the #1 plant I'd suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I relish the thought of a Hummingbird frenzy, and would give anything to witness it. Here in the uk I sometimes see some mildly enthusiastic sparrows - not quite the same, is it !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read an article from the Times Daily about hummers. It said to NOT use the store bought red nectar, as it makes tumors on the hummers beaks.. I make my own sugar water, 4 part water to 1 part sugar.. They love it, and I know it is not harming them..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the feeder and pics of the hummer. My hummers won't share the feeders or even flowers they favor...funny birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Earlier this season I had humming birds visiting my gladiolas now they are visiting my loofah blossoms and my loofah vines are HUGE! Lots of blossoms that last for days. It's nice to know there are more birds than I am seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great hummer shots! I sat outside for two hours trying to get some hummingbird photos, and, while I did get some good shots, none were great. We are planning to add more hummingbird feeders outside the glass door to our breakfast area. It really is fascinating to watch them. If you add more feeders by your kitchen nook, you will be so enchanted I doubt you will get much done around the house or garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have 6 feeders up right now and plan to put a couple of more up. It's like an air raid zone. I'm wondering if the weird spring we has kept them further south this year. I posted some of mine at my turks cap lilies; they just love them, but for some reason the link to the post in July is still showing. Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts