Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Black and White Pound Cake



I always find myself hesitant to make pound cakes - not only can they be expensive but they are not very kind to the waistline. When I contemplate using 10 eggs, 4 sticks of butter, 3 cups of sugar and 4 cups of flour in a cake, I wonder - is it going to be worth it? Well, the answer to that is usually yes! I have tried several Maida Heatter pound cake recipes and all of them have been exceptional. This one sounded different and unique and it turned out to be as delicious as any of her others.

The unique part is the 3/4 cup of chocolate syrup that goes into the second batter. I have never used chocolate syrup in a cake before. She says in the introduction to the recipe that it always turned out different each time she makes it and part of the fun is seeing how the pattern turns out.I assumed that the batter would meld together and create a marbeling effect but I was wrong. The second better actually sits on top of the bottom batter and does not blend into it.

The result is a moist and delicately-flavored cake. The bottom layer has a traditional pound cake flavor with a hint of almond extract. The chocolate flavor is mild and the two compliment each other well. I also loved the slightly crunchy crust that formed on the top.

Now, to make that Kentucky Pound Cake with bourbon...

1 lb. butter (4 sticks)
1 TBS. vanilla extract
3 1/3 cups sugar
10 eggs
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 TBS. instant coffee
3/4 cup chocolate syrup

Preheat the oven to 350. Use the bottom rack. Line the bottom of a 10x4 tube pan and butter it and the sides of pan. Dust with fine, dry bread crumbs.

Beat the butter to soften. (I never remember to set out butter ahead of time to soften it. I usually use the microwave but it can be tricky. Here is a tip I saw on The Chew: Place the butter in a zip-lock bag and place it in a bowl of tepid water. Allow the top of the bag to sit above the water line. Let sit for 20-30 minutes until the butter is softened.)

Add the vanilla...
and gradually add the sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time, until well blended.
On low speed, add the flour, a little at a time.
Now remove about half of the batter and put it in a separate bowl.
Add the almond extract to the batter left in the mixing bowl.
Transfer the batter from the mixing bowl to the prepared cake pan and level it.
Return the other half of the batter to the mixing bowl and add the baking soda.
Add the cocoa...
and finally the chocolate syrup. Mix well.
Pour the chocolate batter over the other batter.
Level it well.
Cover the pan with aluminum foil (loosely placed) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 1 hour and 20 minutes. The cake is done when a tester comes out dry.
Let the cake rest on a cooling rack inside the pan for about 15 minutes before carefully inverting it and removing it from the pan.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. This looks so good. I had a baking fit this past weekend because I had invited several (10) ladies over for tea to discuss our gardens. Not everyone knew each other but you know how gardeners are. We had the air stirring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out marvelously well. A slice of pound cake would go so well with the Italian hot Cocoa I'm having -- a dash of cayenne pepper and some cornstarch to thicken the chocolate mixture will warm you to your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks AMAZING.

    But no, I don't think I can justify that butter or sugar... :P

    (I have been doing a lot of baking this winter though - mainly banana/walnut/coconut muffins. Let me know if you'd like the recipe. Easy to make, no butter and only 1/2 cup of sugar for 12 muffins. I even make it with half whole-wheat flour. It's practically health food! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaron, in my defense, I only ate a few pieces and gave the rest to co-workers and family. I do need to shed some extra winter pounds. Send me that recipe! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm a pound cake lover myself. (Confession: I have an entire pinboard just for pound cakes.) A few weeks ago I had my mom make this pound cake for my birthday. The bottom layer is basically a brownie. It was sooo good. Black and white pound cakes are becoming a favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Phillip, gosh that looks good. I know what you mean about those wonderful recipes that call for a pound of butter, half a dozen eggs, etc. It's been strongly suggested to me by my doctor that I don't eat any more of them. I'm tinkering with recipes using Egg Beaters and substitutes for oil and butter. So far, can't say I've found the perfect recipe, in fact some are barely edible. Made bread pudding yesterday. not a success. Tomorrow I will try a custard with Egg Beaters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I gained weight just looking at that! Baking is a favorite winter past time of mine too, and I have the figure to prove it. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts