Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Hulda Klager Lilac Garden



We drove up to Woodland, Washington (about 20 minutes up Interstate 5) last week to see the Hulda Klager Lilac Garden. Klager lived in this house from 1904-1960 where she propagated lilacs and developed fourteen varieties. You can read more about her and her family on the plaque below.




The house and grounds had a distinct Southern feel to it. The house is only open during Lilac Days (which ended on Mother's Day) and we were a day late. We did get to peek inside through the windows though and I would have liked to have taken the tour. Maybe next year...



Most of the lilacs were already spent with the exception of a few. There were other spring flowering shrubs, like rhododendrons and viburnums, that were spectacular.





Rhododendron 'Blue Peter'



Popcorn Viburnum



Double-file Viburnum (Viburnum plicatum)


Exbury Azaleas

Wiegela





Azalea 'Tri-Lights'



There were also some magnificent trees on the property. This is a huge Japanese Umbrella Pine (Sciadopitys verticillata).

Variegated Box Elder (Acer negudo variegatum)




Saucer Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangeana)



A gigantic Monkey Puzzle Tree (Araucaria araucana)


















I have been to Woodland many times to shop at Tsugawa Nursery but I had never been to the other side of the interstate where the downtown area is located. It is quite old-fashioned and very charming. I did not get any photos of the street or shops but we stopped at a monument with views of the river.


That is Interstate 5 in the distance.

The yellow-flowering shrub across the river is Scotch Broom. It is very invasive here and can be see all along the road sides.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I wish my Weigela looked that good. What a beautiful garden. They keep it up honorably. You have some great photos here. You are living in a gorgeous part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phillip, my husband and I are on a road trip through the PNW and have enjoyed the Portland area. We might stop here on our way to Seattle. I looks very Southern, like you pointed out. The Portland Rose Garden is just about to burst into color while my roses back home have already bloomed. There's so much natural beauty in this part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, I hope you enjoy your trip. When will you be coming through Vancouver?

      Delete
    2. Hi Anne, I hope you enjoy your trip. When will you be coming through Vancouver?

      Delete
    3. We're in Everett, WA and on our way to Buchart Gardens. We visited the lilac garden in Woodland. That's my favorite type of garden - created by an individual with love. So much to see and so little time!

      Delete
    4. That garden is on my list! I hope to see it one day.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful, beautiful home and garden, and how miraculous that it survives. Most gardens vanish when the gardener does.

    Of course, your photos are first-rate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tour Phillip! I sometimes stop at Tsugawa on the way to Portland and think that one of these days it would be nice to see the Hulda Klager Lilac garden. Usually in a rush to get to something further south. What a beautiful home and garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for showing this beautiful garden - what a Paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of these days, I will make good on the promise to myself to visit this place. In the meantime, your post will do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful garden! Looking through your photos, I could almost feel the memories hidden amidst all those mature shrubs. I always enjoy seeing an older garden with wonderful trees and shrubs. (One reason I loved your Alabama garden!) Next year you must make it in time to see all the lilacs, as well as the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowering trees on that property are absolutely stunning, as are your photos of them. What an amazing place to visit in the spring. I've now added it to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A terrific garden. This is the first time I see Japanese Umbrella Pine outside of a 5 gallon nursery pot. WOW!
    I wish there was always a grand park and a river between me and I-5 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Exbury Azaleas with the statue - WOW! ***** :)

    (And yes, also super impressed to see the mature Japanese umbrella pine and the monkey puzzle tree.)

    What a charming garden. And great photos too of course!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts