Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Open Gardens: The Hyland / Beckman garden


On the way back from the Wisner/Orloff garden, I stopped at another Open Garden, that of  Bob Hyland and Andrew Beckman. It is located on a hillside overlooking the St. Johns area and nearby Sauvie Island with some nice views of several mountain peaks. 

The late afternoon sun was quite harsh and not the ideal situation for good photos. Much of the garden was shaded which helped.

















Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. This garden looks like it is on a hilly area. I like the natural feel of this place. That big ball at the end is a fabulous sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That barberry is stunning. And I agree with Lisa; that sculpture is terrific. Perfect scale for outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the long border along the driveway frames your entrance and then the rest of the garden unfolds as you walk around the garage. I've visited several times and it just keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gardening on a slope seems so challenging to me; they did a wonderful job of it. The rock steps are kind of perfect; love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited a few years ago , it's a lovely garden !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, Phillip! Thanks for sharing these. Oh that [barberry] and the purple spilling down the hill! Nice to see it after having visited a couple years back, when younger. (The garden I mean! I suppose I was younger too...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful space. They work hard don't they? How is your Washington garden coming along? I'll go look at your Bloom Day post to see.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am still loading up on plants inspired by a visit to this garden a couple of years ago. Now if I could only emulate the perfect placement these guys exercise with apparent ease.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts