Friday, June 6, 2008

Fears and tears


I love a good scary movie but these days it is hard to find one that doesn't resort to slasher tactics or attempt to gross you out. What a find "The Orphange" is! Here is a film that presents old-fashioned horror in the best possible way, is beautifully told and crafted, and is a film that lingers with you long after the goosebumps have subsided. While I was watching it, I kept thinking that this is how scary movies made me feel as a child. "The Orphanage" also packs an emotional wallop that will leave you in tears by the ending. There are some cryptic plot details and after viewing it twice, I still am not sure if I fully understand the twists (that's ok, I'm a little slow!). Still, it doesn't affect my affection for this wonderful film, so far the best I've seen this year.

6 comments:

  1. The Orphanage is very good. I watched it recently and was chilled by its creepiness and teary at the end. The director's other film, Pan's Labyrinth, affected me the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry, Guillermo (sp?) del Toro, who directed "Pan's Labyrinth," is the producer, not the director, of "The Orphanage."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both again for having us over tonight, it was lovely! Andy & I will be busy reading on all of your websites this evening, we're each sitting in the living room with both of our laptops out :) If you'd like to check out our blog it's www.thetravelingtaylors.blogspot.com. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and good garden ju-ju in this movie and Pan's Labyrinth too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Phillip... I for one just cannot DO scary movies... I'm afraid of my own shadow... Our house practically looks like an airport runway at night with all the Glade nite light plug-ins... Just ask Randy sometime about how I begged to see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre re-make a few years back... I was scared out of my wits for days... that cured me of scary movies... LOL... I do love a good movie with suspenseful twists, however... --Jamie

    ReplyDelete