Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rains bring out the mushrooms



We've had lots of rain lately. Last week our rain gauge, which measures up to 5", overflowed. Since then, there has been at least one shower every day. Yesterday, we received 2" and overnight we got 2" more inches.

As I was leaving for work yesterday morning, I noticed a mushroom in our driveway. I rarely see mushrooms on our property and of all places, in the middle of a gravel driveway? I don't know anything about mushrooms but I do find this intriguing.

I wonder if it is edible?

17 comments:

  1. Hi Phillip...The rain has been abundant. That is an odd place for it to grow! Mushrooms are everywhere; great big fairy rings in front yards all over the city! Have the reservoirs and lakes returned to normal after all this rain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a fairy ring down the street from me that crosses their driveway. It's got to be at least eight feet wide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 've no idea whether its edible but you have to admit that its definitely optimistic.
    And ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that shot is the epitome of Autumn!

    I don't know if it's edible but I wouldn't base a dinner party around it, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your capture is superb, Phillip! We too have had much rain and there is a large fairy ring at city hall! On the lawn that is. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shot!

    I'm not sure I would venture out on a limb that "it might be edible......" Just enjoy it as is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent photo. It looks so elegant. I wouldn't eat it though. I don't know if it is edible. Mushrooms often have poisonous look alikes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great picture!

    We've been getting drenched in Jxn MS too. And my raised vegetable beds are filled with mushrooms. Oh well, good compost material (I think?!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Chef in the Garden posted about mushrooms, too, though his was much more, erm, attention-getting, LOL! The soil is SO DRY here, it is hard to get the spade in more than a few inches and I'm needing to plant a bunch of stuff! The dahlias are still blooming, but I'll dig them out for you in a few weeks. They are in an area of improved soil so they will be easier to get out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I would experiment with eating that mushroom...

    We have them everywhere as well and have probably had the same rains. The rings are pretty neat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful. We've seen a variety of mushrooms here too. Yours is a lovely color.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an exquisite photo Phillip! What an eye! Not sure if it is edible but most likely some critter will eat it soon, that is if your autos do make mushroom pudding of it. I hear you and Georgia are having flooding... hopefully you are too high for that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Phillip, I wandered into here from Rob at 'my french garden' and have really enjoyed reading your blog.

    I'm also quite envious of your rain - unusual from a Brit in the north of England but, hey, we've not had proper rain for about a month and the garden is looking a bit weary!

    I don't know anything about mushrooms and tend to leave them well alone, but that's a great photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even watering will bring out the mushrooms. Last week when I watered one bed with soaker hose, up popped a colony of mushrooms. Your photo is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great capture! Perhapa it's feeding off fallen leaves..

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great picture! I've just started noticing them in the last few days around here.

    ReplyDelete