Monday, April 28, 2014

Twilight Garden


This is such a busy time of year in the garden that I have to force myself to stop and take photos. I took these one evening last week right before dusk. I love how the chartreuse foliage pops in the fading light.

The Kousa dogwood "Wolf's Eyes" has just leafed out and seems to glow in the dark. It is one of my favorite small trees.  




Deutzia with hostas, underneath Sweet Olive (Osmanthus fortunei


Salvia "May Night" growing under "Buff Beauty" rose. I severely pruned "Buff Beauty" two years ago - I did not want to do it but there were so many dead branches underneath. It seems to be coming back nicely but I would not advise pruning it like this unless you just have to.


Spirea "Gold Mound" - a truly wonderful, carefree shrub.


 
Smoke Tree "Golden Spirit" (Cotinus coggygria) with Lespedeza "Gibraltar" (Lespedeza thunbergii 'Gibraltar') underneath.


 
Chinese Snowball (Viburnum macrocephalum)

Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia) growing between the patio steps.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

11 comments:

  1. So beautiful, as always... And sort of odd to see how far ahead everything is for you at this time of year relative to here in Massachusetts, even though we have largely the same types of plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. You should take lots of pictures. You are gonna miss this. That Creeping Jenny is gonna take over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your home and gardens with us. I rarely leave comments, but I always enjoy both this blog and your Maida one. I definitely agree with the person who said to look on this move as an opportunity to work on a new canvas. Please continue to share your journey with us, your unseen friends. I look forward to seeing what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to echo your comment on my blog and say everything is looking beautiful in your garden.

    I like your choice to take some pics at twilight when colors and shapes can take on a magical feeling.

    Quick question -- Does your Salvia nemorosa (May Night etc.) look as dreadful in late summer as mine did last year? Or am I doing something wrong? Should I prune to the base after flowering?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I haven't had too many problems with creeping jenny (so far!)

    Thank you D. Widick! I will continue to blog and share my new garden.

    Aaron, yes it does get a bit ragged as summer progresses. I cut off the faded flowers and it helps tremendously. I was actually surprised that they came back so well this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shot with the iris. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phillip, are you digging up special plants to take with you or are you going to just walk away and leave it all?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sallysmom, probably so although I will just be waiting to see who the buyer will be (if a gardener, hooray, if not I just don't know.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All these photos are excellent. Twilight may be the very best time to take pictures. The blues are particularly nice in this light. And of course, the whites. Love white flowering plants. I also love creeping jenny and I started with a small amount and now I have lots. But I'm trying to cover lots of bare ground!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ! carry on taking your photos as the light is fading ! It does something very special to the colours and makes them really vivd!

    ReplyDelete