Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Wordless Wednesday

Comments

  1. Aloha! Is he waiting for a bird? Feed your cat Phillip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooooh! It's Chester! Hey Buddy!--Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here, birdie, birdie, come have a drink;) Love the photo.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! He looks like he has very marmalade-type markings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do like high places! gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cats always choose such unusual places to rest. He looks interested in something. Maybe a bird?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think it was a bird because just as I was signing off I thought I heard him call "here birdy come take a bath. I will wash your back for you."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got three cats. Harold, Hector and Horace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phillip~~ There is nothing like a cat to adorn a garden! In my opinion a garden isn't complete without a garden cat! Yours is a cutie pie. Give him a chin scratch from me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love his colorations along with his choice of thrones!
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  11. No words necessary! Red cats are the smartest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's saying, "just let that hummingbird try and sneak past me again!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. For those of us who find cats charming (and I do), that is one cute photo. The contrasting colors are also fab.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great image! He looks like he is ready to pounce! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forgot to tell you I came here from Jan's blog. I'm glad she won the feeder. I see we know a lot of the same bloggers.

    I love your kitty perched on the bird bath.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts