Pruning & Transplanting Clematis (and other plants)
Ah, the clematis, one of the most beautiful and frustrating of plants. I counted five books on my shelf devoted to them, and I still have to consult them every year when it is time to prune. This year I'm doing something new - moving a few that are obviously not doing well (lack of sun, more than likely). I'm worried about one of my favorites - 'Jackmanii Superba'. First, I had to dig it up when the new gate was constructed. This clematis was massive, and the bottom stalk looked like a small tree. I divided it to give a piece to my neighbor. Somewhere along the way, it was cut back all the way down to the trunk . I'm still asking myself how this happened. Only time will tell if I've killed the poor thing. It has been replanted, and so far, no signs of life. Others that I decided to move were not subjected to that abuse and were moved immediately after I dug them up. This is 'Etoile Violette'. This rampant variety was along the front fence and it alwa...





Comments
The coming rain storm today was a big disappointment. I only got 0.03 inches of rain. Hope to finish planting the rest of my potted plants in the garden before my knee surgery Wed. I keep getting a larger pile of empty pots, but the full ones are multiplying for some reason. I found a half off sale today and bought a couple more of the Encore Autumn Starlite to finish out in front of the house. I found a $3 rhododendron and a Camellia that I'll have to find room for along the dry creek. Glad you guys had a great time. Mary
That setting is spectacular. This is something else I don't do anymore either is go to visit other beaches, living at the beach as I do, something I used to do at least once a year myself.
You are making me realize I really need to plan myself a proper vacation!