Translate

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Name that bird


I love the birds in the garden but I'm not that great at identifying them. We have a small room off the kitchen that was once a back porch. We had it enclosed with large windows when we had the kitchen remodeled after we moved in. We sometimes eat there but mostly I use the table there to put jigsaw puzzles together. Outside the window are 4 birdfeeders that hang from a large trellis that goes over the window. Sitting there working on a puzzle and watching the birds is a great pleasure, totally relaxing and a good way to lower the blood pressure.

The birds that frequent the feeders that I can identify easily are the house finches, goldfinches, chickadees, titmouse, cardinals and sometimes mourning doves. Michael has been talking about this funny little bird for months now that I had never seen. He described it a little butterball with small tail feathers that stick straight up in the back. This little guy is also very chatty and sometimes sits outside the window and chirps loudly. One morning Michael said he saw him jumping up and down outside the kitchen window and when he walked over to investigate, he saw that the bird was eating ants along the windowsill.

I finally saw the bird last Sunday when I was out taking photos. I don't seem him at the feeders and he is indeed very vocal. I'm guessing some type of wren? I know some of my bird-knoweledgeable readers will know.


 
Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Share/Bookmark
Post a Comment