Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Daylily and a Sheriff in the family?



This vibrant daylily was in a friend's garden. Isn't is striking? I wasn't able to get the name of it because she wasn't there when I took the photo but I hope she can tell me soon.

There's not much to report from the garden. The heat has been relentless but as least we've had rain (2 inches so far this week). The tomatoes and cayenne peppers have been producing like crazy.

In non-gardening news, it looks like my cousin could be the next Sheriff of Franklin County!

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. That is a vibrant color daylily. Nice to know a Sheriff, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends with daylilies will often share them, and it is always good to have well connected family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your cousin! Does he get to wear a star badge on his shirt? Cause that would be awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful - I have a fat red one that looks like that. So vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, congratulations to the new Sheriff!

    That is a knock out daylily. I don't usually love oranges but that one is like a flame.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a beautiful daylily.... and what a great thing for your cousin. What an important job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous daylily. Best of luck to your cousin. A very satisfying job I would think. My cousin's husband has been sheriff of Dubois County in IN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should invest in more lilies. They're fairly easy to care for, and are perinniel sp?. Well, most are, right? I've got a few wild ones I've transplanted to the yard, but a lot of people have them. They must be naturalized here. I see them in everyone's yards, but I also see them in ditches and along roadsides. That blueberry coffee cake looks like it needs me.
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've really captured the colour beautifully.

    Guess it doesn't hurt to have friends/family in influential places, ha, ha..

    ReplyDelete
  10. as a novice gardener, am wondering, it's been dry here also (Cape Cod, MA), do you have a rain gauge? how much rain is good enough? I check the rain totals on the weather page but am unsure sometimes what equals a good soak. I'm thinking once the plant/shrub shows signs of stress it's too late, right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts