Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Goodbye August


I am not a fan of August and I'm always glad to see it go. I have to say though that this August has been a fairly tolerable one. The weather this year has been crazy and it seems like we are a month ahead of schedule. This August has seemed more like September. Maybe this means we will get an early fall and winter? That would be okay with me.

We have also been fortunate to have regular rains. We are overdue for some now and it is frustrating that we won't get much from Hurricane Issac. It is also so frustrating to see the color green on the radar over your town but then you go outside and it is not doing a thing. I've been dragging hoses around for the past several days. Overall though, I cannot complain because I know most areas of the country has had it far worse.

The garden is tired by the end of August and so am I.  I'm excited about getting some fall color. I hear we may have a significant cold front coming through next week. Bring it on!



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I'm impressed by all the green, Phillip. My garden looks quite parched, despite my attempts to keep it watered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about August. Not a good month. I am going to be happy to see it go. I am so looking forward to any rain that Issac decides to grace us with. We need every inch. Your garden is getting that early fall look to it with leaves coming down and blooms drying up. Our garden looks like that too. The Ash Tree is raining ash seeds all over the garden. I hate that. I will be pulling ash saplings out by the hundreds next spring. What is a person to do?? Just grin and bear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind August, but I am a heat lover. It does however, make we want to take a machete to the garden to cut back all the rampant growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, three cheers for no more August... though as you say, it has been definitely more tolerable than usual. Here it's actually been raining a lot for the past few weeks, so I can't even complain there. But fall is absolutely the nicest time in the South, IMHO.

    Its funny how a few hundred or so miles closer to the equator can effect how one feels about summer. When I lived in the NE I would always get a little depressed come this time of year because the true cold was less than 8 weeks away. Now, I barely remember what true cold feels like, but July and August certain remind me how awful they are every year! Almost enough to yearn for true cold. No, nevermind, thats a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phillip, the fact that your garden looks so good at the end of august speaks to your skills as both a designer and Gardener.

    Beautiful photos of a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful gardens! Someday, I want gardens just like yours - so nicely incorporated with the natural landscape. What is the tree (shrub?) with the white edging on the leaves - stunning contrast to the greenery. Love your stone paths and rock work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Kathy! That is Kousa Dogwood "Wolf's Eyes".

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks wonderfully lush there! Here in the PNW we are in the middle of our always dry summer season, and my garden is looking tired too. Like you, I am sick of dragging the hose around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden still looks fabulous to me...all those stunning Hydrangeas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am not sorry to see August go. By this time of year I'm really tired of working in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand how you feel, Phillip. I hate August too and I am tired of the heat. Your place still looks real good. I usually try to have all gardening chores done by August, but the older I get the slower I move and have ended up working more this August than usual. I am ready for fall and the sooner the better. Take care. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden looks fabulous, Phillip! You obviously had a more temperate August than most of us did. Even though it's been so hot, I'm always reluctant to let summer go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog and am so excited! Your photos are superb! Thanks so much for sharing your gardens with us.
    About August, we too have grown tired of it, great that it is now 2 Sep when I found your post (hee, hee).
    Gonna go pick some 'maters. Hope to keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog and am so excited! Your photos are superb! Thanks so much for sharing your gardens with us.
    About August, we too have grown tired of it, great that it is now 2 Sep when I found your post (hee, hee).
    Gonna go pick some 'maters. Hope to keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like I've also had an invisible umbrella over my house. Yesterday I helped decorate the Coondog Cemetary for the Labor Day celebration and we had to use a chisel and a hammer to make holes beside the headstones for the flowers on the grave. A butterfly was flying to each silk flower trying to find nectar. Battery went dead on my camera and I wasn't able to get a picture. Water puddled on Woodmont Drive less than a quarter mile away. When I got home nothing. I did get 1.42 this afternoon plus a tornado warning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If this is what your garden looks like when it's tired, that explains why it's so gorgeous when it's refreshed! So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these views of your garden! I especially like the stone wall and the variegated dogwood. I agree this August was milder than our more typical August, but I am happy to see September arrive. We have had plenty of rain the last couple of days. I spent this morning planting, despite the drizzle, which eventually turned into a downpour. I hope you got some too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love the garden and all the detail into it. Wow! I am just mesmerize. Now, I am very inspired for the new season. We better welcome September and the new season. Check my page at http://www.CheapSheds.com.au/ .

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful and refreshing series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely series of shots from your garden.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts