Friday, July 5, 2013

Mounds Cake



It was a rainy Fourth of July but we had a great day. I'm not a big fan of noisy fireworks anyway so I was perfectly happy shut up inside on the cozy sofa where I got caught up with the last season of "Dexter" and did some baking.  One of Michael's co-workers, a great lady who is no longer with us, used to make a wonderful Mounds Cake (like the candy bar). He didn't get the recipe (or if he did we lost it) so I went searching online.

I found a recipe that made a 13x9 inch cake but I prefer layer cakes and did some tweaking. I added a tablespoon of cornstarch to the coconut filling to make it thicker and instead of pouring it over the cake, I spooned it on as a layer. For the icing, I used the icing that I recently made for the Cowtown Chocolate Cake.

The cake was delicious. Michael felt that the coconut mixture was a tad too sweet so you might want to cut back on the sugar a bit. 


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

9 comments:

  1. YUM! I make a similar cake. Love choc and coconut! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmigosh, Phillip, a Mounds cake - who knew? My favorite candy bar and I can just imagine how good that cake is. Great baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phillip,

    Oh my goodness!!! I would die to have this right now!!!

    Ooooohhhhhh!!!!

    I will be right over!!

    Hugs and Love to you and Michael!!

    Gerri XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks better than the candy bar - oh a lot! Which...I...think...I have one downstairs! See you later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sure turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just mean...that loooks sooo goooddd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just know this yummy cake would make me sick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phillip, I'm now starving. I love coconut so this will be my birthday cake in September. I think I can make it gluten and dairy free, and it will be delish. Say hi to Michael for me too. Waving from OK.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete