Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

City of ice and snow

Our temporary home (in Portland)

After the deluge of rain that hit Portland in December, there was a period of sunny days and brisk, frigid winds. The clouds returned Saturday night and we awakened to a beautiful blanket of snow on Sunday morning.  The Portland and Vancouver area sits in the Willamette Valley, which is a bit insulated from the rougher weather that surrounds us. Snow events are infrequent (the last significant one was almost 2 years ago) and it pretty much the same scenario as happens in Alabama - schools close, grocery isles are invaded and cars spin and slide. 

Last night, freezing rain replaced the snow. This morning there has been little traffic on our street, so far no garbage and recycle pick-up, but the sun is peaking out from behind the clouds and the ice is melting. Michael banished me from the house while he mopped and vacuumed. I grabbed my camera and took a walk around the neighborhood.

Everything - plants, sidewalks and streets - is encased in snow and thin sheets of ice. I did not find it treacherous for walking. I enjoyed the loud crunch under my feet. An occasional crash from falling ice from the power lines and trees was probably the most hazardous aspect of the journey.

In other news, the appraisal on the house has been completed and it is possible that our closing date could happen in about 2 weeks. That is if the underwriters (a word I am beginning to despise) do not come up with any more requests. It should happen around the time that I will be returning to Alabama to wrap up everything there. We just hope that we can get in the house and have electricity and all that good stuff turned on. I shudder to think about Michael stuck in a house with no electricity...




























Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

Popular Posts