Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Some rhododendrons

rhododendron4  
The Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm also had a nice little garden tucked off to one side. There were some beautiful rhododendrons. Just spectacular!

 rhododendron2 Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

rhododendron5

rhododendron6

rhododendron3

rhododendron1

Comments

  1. Stunning! I guess they don't need to be tucked under the trees like they do at LaRue's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, these are just glorious. I just love rhodies. Unfortunately I have never been able to grow them. I can't figure out why. When I drive through town this time of year I see them blooming their heads off here and there. These photos make me want to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phillip, these rhododendron are spectacular, indeed! I just love them!
    Your post reminds me of our visit at Stourhead an amazing garden in England, where I saw the most mature and stunning rhododendrons in my life. I am sure you would have enjoyed a visit there as well.
    Anyhow, back to the rhodies in the nursery. How could you restrain yourself from buying them all?
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yowza! Those rhododendrons are incredible! Now you need some at your new place, am I right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts