Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Wednesday Vignette




A Rufous hummingbird has been visiting our feeder this week. It has been exciting.

Wednesday Vignette is hosted by Anna at Flutter and Hum. 
 
Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Aren't they a handsome Hummingbird?! Maybe they will nest in your garden this summer. Wouldn't that be great!! Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Aren't their colors and their tiny little feet just amazing? I love hummers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - great shot! I saw a hummer in my garden on Monday. It was so nice to spend some time out there, and to see that they are still there. It was just me, who was gone for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish we had these lovely little birds here in the uk! Still, I can enjoy yours thanks to your great photos Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I love it! I won't see any hummers here till late May or so. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, getting a shot of one of these elusive fellows. They were a rare sight where I lived in Massachusetts, much less rare now that I live in Washington, but no less amazing and wonderful. I hope you're also growing plants that they can feast on, then you'll see even more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had Annas right through the winter but the rufous have yet to arrive. They're small but combative, making for some entertaining rufous ruckus at the feeder. I'm impressed by your photo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts