Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Chocolate Chunk Coconut Peanut Butter Cookies


As painful as it is, I am cutting out sugar for a while as I attempt to lower my ever-high triglycerides. I have been on a low-carb diet for a week now and going to continue it for three months until I am tested again. This doesn't mean I will stop baking. I still love to share. For myself, I am going to limit my sweets and also experiment with sugar-alternative recipes.

That said, before that -

Lots of raves for these cookies.  I took them to a committee meeting and shared the reminder with friends. The cookies are crisp and I normally prefer a soft cookie but these are a combination of crisp and soft.

I have no idea what the 1 tablespoon of sour cream does. I thought that was odd but I guess it keeps them from being too dry?

No need to question the ingredients though because these are the bomb!

This recipe comes from Maida Heatter's Brand New Book of Great Cookies (c1995 Random House)

6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (chopped) (Chips are fine)
1 cup salted peanuts
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups sifted unbleached flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter (softened)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup smooth or chunky peanut butter
1 TBS. sour cream
1/2 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 packed cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with either parchment or foil.

Pulse the peanuts and the sugar in a food processor about 5 or 6 times until the nuts are in large pieces.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.

In a mixer, beat the butter and add the vanilla, peanut butter and sour cream. Add the brown sugar and the egg. Add the sifted flour mixture and beat on low speed.

Remove from the mixer and add the peanut mixture, chocolate and coconut. Mix well.

Form the dough into balls. I use a scoop to make it easier. You can use your hands but you will need to wet them often. After forming the balls and placing them about 2" apart on the cookie sheet, use a fork to press them into 1/2" thickness (the fork will need to be wet to avoid sticking).

Bake about 12 minutes (reverse the pans about half-way during baking if you are using two). The cookies are done when they are lightly browned  but the tops will still be soft. They will crisp up when they have cooled. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. You give a good reason why not to eat these then give us a delicious sounding recipe. ;) Gosh too bad we don't live closer I would relieve you of any of your baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're eating low carb currently due to some heath concerns too. Looks like a great low sugar recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts