Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Open Gardens - Bostwick garden


I love seeing other people's gardens and the Hardy Plant Society of Oregon's Open Gardens is a terrific opportunity to see great gardens every weekend through October. I did not visit as many gardens last year as I did the first year I lived here so I hope to do some catching up this year.



This morning we drove to Clackamus to see Michael Bostwick's garden. This is a small garden inspired by the owner's hikes in the Pacific Northwest. A pathway leading from the side of the house and into the back area is bordered by raised beds that ends in a beautiful waterfall and pond. 

There is a wide variety of plants, including dwarf conifers, maples, native plants, wildflowers, iris, trillium, orchids, hellebores,  shrubs and many unique perennials. 

A huge sumac hangs over the waterfall. It was just beginning to leaf out. I am sure that this is a stunning site when all the leaves are open.

Michael said that after this season, he would be moving the entire garden to a new location! The new garden will be on a larger property so I know he is going to have some exciting times ahead of him.





A clump of Merrybells (Uvularia grandifloria) and Candytuft (Iberis) grows on a raised berm above the waterfall. If you look closely, to the right of the Uvularia, you will see a white Lady Slipper Orchid.

Several beautiful Pacific Iris
Camassia







Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I can't imagine moving an entire garden. I can see why he would want all of those plants though. It is a beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning of open garden season is always a treat! This looks like a splendid garden & it'll be interesting to see what Michael does with his new space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always meant to get out to see this garden, sounds like I'd better get a move on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving a garden seems quite a challenge. Maybe the people who move into the house will be sad it has gone?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts