Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Moving the Housplants Inside (or World War III)

A war breaks out in this household every year around this time when it is time to bring plants inside the house. If you know Michael, you know that he is a neatness freak and keeps the house in a spotless condition.

If you don't know him, you can get an idea by watching this clip from one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies - "Mommie Dearest" -

 

That's him! Michael feels that houseplants make a mess by shedding and to appease him, I try to keep the inventory to a minimum. 

To be fair, I'm not exactly that great when it comes to houseplants. I am much better with outdoor plants. Our last house was drafty and plants didn't do well at all. Here, they do better but most of the good light comes through the south windows and we don't have many places to store them. Really the only space we have is this little greenhouse box that is attached to the kitchen window -


Most of the larger plants end up in my study/library, on the north side of the house, and sadly, despite a large window, it is one of the darkest rooms in the house. They will endure politely until I can move them back out on the deck next spring.

This year, I was cringing when I realized we had more plants than usual. Here is some of our inventory:

The largest plant is the Spider Plant or Airplane Plant (Chlorophytum comosum), an easy-to-grow plant that looks decent most of the time -

Airplane Plant (Chlorophytum comosum)

The Cyclamen either looks good or pathetic and it is usually the latter. I think the only time it bloomed was when I first brought it home. My trusty houseplant book says that it needs at least 2 hours of direct sunlight during the winter months. That's not good and I think it is too large to go in the greenhouse window - 

 

Cyclamen

I love the Anthurium and even more so when it started blooming on the deck about a month ago. This was a gift from a vendor at the Master Gardener Plant Sale. I think he could tell I wasn't too enthusiastic about houseplants and he insisted I try this. I think he would be happy for me.

Anhurium

Oh dear, the one below one has grown wildly this year while being outdoors. I have no idea what it is - some type of cactus? If you know, do let me know. I cannot find it in my houseplant book. Believe it or not, this one was small enough last winter to reside in the greenhouse window but this year it is way to large. It also started shedding as soon as I brought it in. Fortunately, I was able to clean it up before you-know-you noticed.

 

Mystery plant

The Goldfish Plant (Columnea gloriosa) was picked up at work when I succumbed to its charms. I love the glossy leaves and the flowers (yes, it bloomed!) are lovely. Will it survive the winter inside? We will see.


I also love the ZZ Plant ((Zamioculcas zamiifolia). This was recommended by Linda at work when I asked her what would be a good houseplant that was easy to grow and not messy and one that would not provoke the house cleaner. She suggested this one and I have to say that it has lived up to all of those claims. This is only plant that gets to reside in the living room.


ZZ Plant ((Zamioculcas zamiifolia)


Believe it or not, this last plant - String of Hearts (Ceropegia woodii), was given to Michael by one of his doll acquaintances.  It is our oldest plant. I brought it here on the plane from Alabama when we moved here. So, it is over 5 years old and doing very well. It went through a phase where we thought it was going to die but it rebounded.

String of Hearts (Ceropegia woodii)

I have not included a photo of the Australian Tree Fern (Alsophila australis) which has survived two winters in our house. I think ferns are the hardest plants to grow indoors. It is so hard to give them the humidity they enjoy.. However, taking it outside for the summer months revives it and it has grown. Here's hoping it makes it another year.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I'm not absolutely positive about the plant whose name you don't know, but is there an onion-like bulb under all that frothy foliage? If so, it might be a Bowiea volubilis aka climbing sea onion. I had one years ago, and the froth used to occasionally die back and fall off, and then grow back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Alison - have you stopped blogging? I don't think the plant has an onion-like bulb but I will check!

      Delete
  2. Hi Philip,
    You have some wonderful plants, and I think your ”mystery” plant might be a ”Rhipsalis cereuscula”. It looks like it anyway.
    Catarina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say that the mystery plant looks like a Rhipsalis too but, unlike Catarina, I couldn't have identified the species so kudos to her. I hope all your temporary visitors make it through the winter indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope all of your plants survive the winter indoors and your housekeeper keeps his sanity. I love the string of hearts. I had one of those years ago. I have trouble with low light and of course humidity inside is hardly noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Goldfish Plant is indeed charming: it has a great contrast between the leafs and the flower.
    I always assume Cyclamen has a dormancy period, whether it grows indoor or out. Are you certain it will not survive in the garden? (I currently enjoy a carpet of Cyclamen blooms in the garden).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Houseplants can certainly get messy. Changing their light usually makes them drop leaves after a bit. I keep the vacuum wand handy. I hope all of yours do well. They sure look good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts