Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Fall Colors

The fall colors have really been kicking in these past weeks. I've made a video with live shots of the most colorful plants in the garden right now. 

 

 Or, if you'd rather just see the photos -

Burning Bush (Euonymus alatus 'Rudy Haag' and Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum)


 

Birch (Betula pendula 'Trost's Dwarf')

 

 

Amsonia hubrichtii


 

Sumac 'Tiger Eyes' ((Rhus typhina ‘Bailtiger’))

 

Vine Maple 'Pacific Fire' (Acer circinatum)

 

Miscanthus sinensis 'Little Miss'

 

Persian Ironwood (Parrotia persica)

 

Bloodtwig Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire')

 

 

Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo)

 

Redbud (Cercis 'Rising Sun')

 

 

Dogwood (Cornus kousa 'Celestial Shadow')

 

Dogwood (Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes')

 

Joe Pye Weed (Eutrochium purpureum)

 

Redbud (Cercis 'Hearts of Gold') and 'Pacific Fire' vine maple in back

Pomegranate (Punica granantum 'Crimson Sky')



Coral Bark Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku')

Serviceberry (Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Autumn Brilliance')

Stewartia psuedocamellia

 


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Love how you designed in some good strong color for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you designed in some good strong color for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the video tour.... causes me to wonder why we close garden tours so early, but then again it does rain here regularly by October! Your garden is lovely in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is my favorite season in large part because of the amazing colors that paint our gardens. Your garden is an excellent example of that. I'm in love with the potted Pomegranate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all that foliage color! We don't get anything like that in my part of SoCal. I've only a handful of plants that color-up at all but I probably won't see anything from them for another month or more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots and lots of color--it is beautiful. I love the photo of the Amsonia with the 'Rozanne' flowers popping up through it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good camerawork and editing on the video as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts