Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - November 2021

 

There's not a lot of blooms in the November garden but a few scattered here and there. We've not had a hard frost yet but a lot of rain and heavy winds. Some leaves remain on the trees but most are already stripped bare.

Aster 'Monte Cassino' is really beautiful and the photo doesn't do it justice. This is out next to the street and I see people stopping to admire it.

 
Not blooms but berries - Callicarpa 'Profusion' (Beautyberry)

 

Fatsia

 

Fuchsia 'Hawkshead' still going strong

 

This is the most stunning fuchsia and of course I don't have the name. A neighbor gave it to us and the label read 'Landscape Fuchsia'.

 

Mahonia 'Charity' (Oregon Grape)

 

Pennisetum '24 Karat' (Fountain Grass)


Schizostylis (Cape Lily), a gift from Sean Hogan

 

 

Hydrangea 'Nikko Blue'

 

Rose 'Playboy'


Rose 'Lady of Shallot'

Rose 'Lady Emma Hamilton'

Rose 'Golden Celebration'

 I will wrap this up with a photo of the back garden along the shady pathway.



Check out May Dreams Gardens for more bloggers sharing their blooms.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Your garden even now is a beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callicarpa berries are just amazing in the winter garden. The first time I encountered them my jaw dropped. The shady path is fantastic in any season and aways a favorite.
    I think your Mahonia may be soft caress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I - I was captivated by one in our neighborhood when we moved here. They grew in the south too. You are right about the mahonia - I will add that info.

      Delete
  3. So many lovely blooms, but I especially love that fountain grass. I see we share the 'Lady of Shallott,' a personal favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that fountain grass. It is a dwarf and has stayed below 1 ft. tall.

      Delete
  4. Your November garden is beautiful with remaining blooms and so much color. I enjoyed the stroll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That aster is indeed a show-stopper! I've always coveted Callicarpa. although there's at least once species that my Sunset guide says will grow here (USDA 10b/11a, Sunset 24), I've yet to find it offered locally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blooms!
    And I enjoyed the two wider views of your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. November is not very bloomy for me either. That NOID Fuchsia ! I can't even count the number of them I've had that sport the label ' Assorted Fuchsia'. All my Asters are over so I'm interested in 'Monte Cassino'. It reminds me of my Aster divericatus -I really want to pop in a couple more Asters .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I envy your collection of Roses specially' Golden celebration'. It would be my pleasure if you participate in my Gardening link up party here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2021/11/garden-affair-lycoris-lily.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who needs blooms when you have such wonderful texture and color still.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts