Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Finding an Old Postcard in a Gardening Book


I was browsing through an old book called "Azaleas and Camellias" by H. Harold Hume, copyright 1938, and out popped an old postcard. 

It appears that it was not mailed so perhaps it arrived in a separate envelope. 

The card is addressed to be "Mrs. C.G. Davidson" of Kosse, Texas although I'm not quite sure as it looks like there is an "S" in front of "Koss". In looking on Google Maps, I see a "Koss, Texas" located between Houston and Dallas. I do not find a "Klosse" Texas.

The note reads:

"Dear Ms. Carrie, I rec'd your letter and was sure glad to hear from you. I thought I'd get to come last week but couldn't. If I can get a buggy and we are all well, I'll come to see you next Saturday May 26. I have 10 chickens, 2 hens setting. My gardens not much good, beans look very well, worms eating up my cabbage. Well I hope to see you soon. Tell the kids hello. Your friend, Rebecca."

I love finding things like this!


 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. That's fun! Given the reference to a "buggy" I have to wonder how old that postcard is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know too. Unfortunately I could not find a date on it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts