Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Looking Good in August

African Daisy (Osteospermum), Fan Flower (Scaevola) and
Sweet Potato Vine (Ipomoea)

It is the most miserable time of year and last week was a doozy. We had a record number of days with temperatures over 90. 

As I write this, however, the windows are open and a cool breeze is coming through the house. It is about 70 degrees, much more to my liking. This will be short-lived as another 3-day stretch of hot weather is coming up this weekend.

Gladiolus 'Olympic Flame' in a pot. These were a very pleasant surprise!


Agapanthus 'Purple Potion' - This is the first time I've
gotten agapanthus to bloom. 


One of my favorite plants - African Boxwood (Myrsine A. 'Scarlet Marglin').
 It grows in a pot on the deck in full shade. 


A heat-lover that I love is the Chaste Tree (Vitex agnus-castus).
 The bees love it too.


Another plant that probably prefers it warm is this
 Yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora 'Coral Glow')


 
Clematis 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' - Most of the clematis are
on the wane but this one starts later.

Baby's Breath (Gypsophila paniculata 'Bristol Fairy')

Four O'Clocks (Mirabilis) - I haven't grown this since the Alabama days. There it was aggresive so I was apprehensive about it. I'm keeping my eye on it.

The lilies are doing nicely - most are in pots.
This one is 'Roselily Natalia'.

'Stargazer' still one of the best

I would never have guessed that pansies would be flourishing in August!


And for matter, snapdragons too!

Painted Tongue (Salpiglossis sinuata)

Porcelain Vine (Ampelopsis brevipedunculata 'Elegans')


Jasminum officinale 'Fiona Sunrise'


I guess I'm a fan of redbuds. These are just two - 'Ruby Falls' peeking on the far left and 'Rising Sun' on the right. In the middle is Himalayan Honeysuckle (Leycesteria formosa 'Jealousy').

'The Impressionist' - This poor rose has been moved three times. I have no idea why it is now pink - it is normally a coppery yellow. 

Michael pruning a rose and trying to save the clematis growing in it.



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Your garden looks stupendous this August, especially given the recent heatwave. My Osteospermums mostly shut down flower production during the summer months (although, when I'm lucky, the plants themselves don't perish). My snapdragons are done and gone. The chaste tree I planted years ago from a tiny pot is still small and hasn't flowered but I haven't given up on it. Oddly, I haven't even seen flowers on my Hesperaloes this year - maybe too little water even for them :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of Yucca 'Coral Glow' is looking very nice against the weeping cedar. It's not often that you shoot this angle of the garden. It looks to be a dark leaf Euphorbia in the back. Do you know which it is?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chavli, that is Euphorbia 'Blackbird'. This bed is along the elevated retaining wall next to the driveway (that goes downhill). It has been a challenge finding things that grow well there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts