Skip to main content

Featured

The Plants Bees Love

In this day and time, I would hope gardeners understand the importance of bees and other insects in the garden. However, from time to time, a person comes into the nursery and asks for plants that will NOT attract bees (sigh). They are not really gardeners though, they are just looking for a plant to fill a space. I find myself more and more intrigued by bees although I don't know that much about the different types. I do make note of plants that they like and try to add as many as I can to the garden. Over the past weeks, with watering a daily activity amidst a lingering heat-wave, I've conducted an informal survey and noted the plants that they seem to like the most. Butterfly Weed ( Asclepias tuberosa ) Butterfly Weed ( Asclepias tuberosa ) is one of my favorite perennials and the bees love it too. I don't think I've ever seen a butterfly on it but we don't seem to have many of those. Everybody wants the "Showy Milkweed" (Asclepias speciosa) but I knew

Falling Leaves



The leaves continue to fall, especially after brisk winds last night. Before I went to bed, I could see the small leaves of the Japanese maples beginning to carpet the deck.

There are two unnamed Japanese maples by the deck steps, one on each side. They are among the first trees planted after we moved in. The tree on the right was the one losing most of its leaves. This is how it looked this morning -




The opposite maple, on the other hand, lost very little. Hmmm....




The parrotia also lost most of its leaves overnight, mainly toward the top. Revealed - a squirrel's nest? Ugh




The one tree with the most leaves left is the 'Dakota Pinnacle' birch. It has been the prettiest it has ever been this year. 



Winter draws closer with snow in the forecast for next week.



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Love that Dakota Pinnacle - reminds me of the birches in Sweden. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing all the color in your garden. The Heuchra leaves and the fall leaves are a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts