Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Plants of Interest for Winter - Conifers

Lodgepole Pine 'Chief Joseph' (Pinus contorta var. latifolia).
Michael made the column and I just love it.


Winter approaches (that's right - it isn't here officially until the 21st) but weather-wise, it has been very winter-ish. The temperature has barely been above 40 for the past several weeks and we got an early snow yesterday. I like it as long as I can be inside, comfy and cozy. I prefer the cloudy days as sunny ones make me feel guilty if I'm sitting at the computer and gazing out on a sunny landscape. I feel like I should be doing something out there

I've filled our garden with many conifers and evergreen plants for winter interest. They add so much.

The pathway along the front of the house. My window is to the right so
this is the view I have but from another angle. 


The White Pine (Pinus strobus 'Fastigiata') has grown so tall but the width remains narrow which is good. I do trim along the sides when it starts to get unruly which is rare.


A view from the opposite side



'Degroot's Spire' Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis) is great for a tall and narrow accent. When it comes to arborvitae, it is so much better than the problematic 'Emerald Green' that is planted all over the place. However, its not as good as a screen. 


Blue Spanish Fir (Abies pinsapo 'Glauca'), so stalwart. 


From the street side - I hope it stops growing now but I know it
will not. It is very slow though.



Weeping Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum') - I rarely photograph this because it is hard to get a shot without the surrounding obstacles. This is the tree that beckoned to me when moving here. So unusual, so Pacific Northwest.

The retaining wall along the driveway. 'Green Arrow' Alaskan Cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis) in the center, probably feeling crowded. Strawberry Tree (Arbutus), 'Hillside Creeper' pine at the base and an unknown conifer that was already here when we moved in. I've suspected that it might be the Lawson Cypress 'Treasure Island' although it is taller than most descriptions note.


A closer look at 'Hillside Creeper' (what a terrible name! A serial killer?) 
My hopes are that is tumbles down the wall.


Deodar Cedar 'Feelin' Blue' (Cedrus deodar) - proof positive not to listen to plant labels.
2 feet tall? Ha!

Colorado Blue Spruce (Picea pungens 'Globosa')

Canadian Hemlock 'Emerald Fountain' (Tsuga canadensis 'Monler')


Columnar Norway Spruce (Picea abies 'Cuppressina')


Pinus paviflora 'Cleary'


Canadian Hemlock 'Golden Duchess' (Tsuga canadensis 'MonKinn') - I'd like to move this as it burns easily in the sun.

Spruce 'Skylands' (Picea orientalis)

'Swane's Golden' Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)

Upright Japanese Plum Yew (Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Fastigiata')


I hope you've enjoyed this conifer tour. Next I will do a post about the evergreen shrubs in the garden.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Conifers aren't as popular in my climate but I do appreciate them, especially those with gorgeous blue needles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your conifer tour is splendid. Seeing all of these makes me wish I had many more in the garden. I love the serial killer creeping about. Ha.... The pedestal looks so handsome by that limey green tree. I am surprised you can leave the pedestal out during winter. What is it made of, it must be frost proof. ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, it is made of concrete and sealed with a concrete sealer. I'm hoping it is okay left out in the elements. Not true for terracotta which deteriorates quickly here if left out.

      Delete
  3. I participated in a conifer plant study at Heronswood lead by (the amazing) Dr. Ross Bayton. Still, I am horrible at identifying them. I love any time when you feature conifers in a post and I'm fascinated by the large number your are able to grow.
    Kudos to Michale's for the cool column: it isn't easy to out shine 'Chief Joseph'!
    Weeping Sequoia is a marvel. (When they start growing in unexpected directions, they look like dinosaurs!).
    As for size marked on plant tags: I wonder if occasionally gremlins switch them around as a prank...
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working at a garden center has really helped me with identification but I still have trouble.

      Delete
  4. Conifers in general is a topic I feel I'm barely scratching the surface of. So many good ones to explore, so thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts