Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Home Again to a Beautiful Fall Season



I just got home from a trip to Alabama where the weather was pleasant but dry and nothing interesting to see plant-wise. Waking up to a blustery day here in Washington with scattered rain showers and the fall color is beginning to dazzle.

A quick walk around the garden this morning and clean-up is desperately needed. 


Some interesting sightings - Rhododendron 'Hills Bright Red' in bloom and not just one bloom, several! Very odd. Please overlook the the spider mite damage. It is terrible and I must do something... 



A sign that I am in a different climate -


Oakleaf Hydrangea 'Alice' showing nice color -



The Pomegranate (Punica granatum 'Crimson Sky') is a beauty!






And, look what I picked from 'Little Miss Figgy' -


The Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia) has been unimpressive this year but they always have a bloom-spurt in autumn -


Fuchsias that were moved from the deck are blooming much better now that they are getting more light. The Sumac is also very nice this time of year -



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Gorgeous, Phillip. Wonderful color on the 'Alice' and the Pomegranate. (They color up somewhat even here.) Your garden gets better and better and better. Looks like the PNW is getting at least a bit of rain--that should knock back those spider mites a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dazzling fall color indeed, Phillip. I can't say I've seen any of that here yet but then its sparse even later in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, Southeast is a bit lackluster this fall. Been very dry. Japanese maples are crispy, not colored. But oh, the sun angle has changed. Beautiful light is what I’m here for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and vibrant garden... not sure what you mean by "clean-up is desperately needed". What's your fall routine?
    Jealous of your Figgies.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Phillip, your garden is stunning!, as per every time I check in, its just amazing! I noted your photo of the spider mite damage... I have the same on my eucryphia's. I did a bit of investigating and discovered that what I had wasn't spider mite, but was instead a new pest for us (I garden up in Tacoma) called Pieris lace bug. The damage noted in you picture looks very similar to what i have on my shrubs. It's not a good sign that it is spreading so rapidly. I'm seeing it everywhere in my neighborhood. Hope this helps, so that we can get this pest under a bit of control. .. Erik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric - I will look into this! -- Phillip

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts