Theo's Fantastic Fuchsias
Several years ago, I visited Theo Margelony and Kevin Gepford's garden in Portland, and last weekend, I had the chance to visit again during an open-garden event. Since my last visit, the garden has grown into a lush, immersive space — every path now feels enveloped by foliage and color
The garden is dominated by Theo's favorite plant - the fuchsia. Before moving to Portland in 2019, he gardened on a tiny lot in Manhattan. Now, he has a much larger palette to indulge his passion for these plants.
Michael and I have become big fans of fuchsias since moving to Washington, but we struggled with them in the South where summer heat was relentless. It was exciting to see many of the varieties that we are growing, except here in this garden, the specimens were much larger!
For example, this one is 'Cricket', just huge in their garden. Their garden is much sunnier than ours, and I'm learning that many fuchsias prefer more sun than I had earlier thought.
Theo has the largest specimens of fuchsias I've seen. This one, probably one of the magellanica types, was the largest -
The garden is not just a big collection of fuchsias. Winding pathways lead past palms, perennials, and unexpected treasures. Walking up the main steps after we arrived, I noticed a tree that you don't see too often - Gordlinia.
Another big fuchsia, this one is Fuchsia hatschbachii. Theo had staked it with supports and it stood 7-8 feet tall -
Behind the house, a narrow passageway is lined with a dense collection of potted fuchsias. The patio is equally full, creating a living gallery of varieties.
And if you ever need more space for fuchsias? Theo has a solution: a pyramid of fuchsias, stacked in tiers and overflowing with flowers.
Theo is not only an expert on fuchsias, he is very active sharing his passion in the community. In addition to writing articles for fuchsia publications, he is former president of the Oregon Fuchsia Society, and gives presentations to garden groups in the area. He shares his knowledge through his blog The Fuchsietum, and opens the garden regularly through the Hardy Plant Society. If you love fuchsias, you don't want to miss this one!
Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy
















Comments