Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Foolproof Microwave Peanut Brittle



My mother isn't able to cook anymore but she used to bake all the time. Peanut brittle was one of her specialties and she made it often.  I have never made it the way she did, which involved lots of stirring, using a candy thermometer (although I don't think she used one, she just knew when it was ready by the way it looked), and more stirring. Here is a simple recipe for making peanut brittle in the microwave and it is easy as 1-2-3.

1 cup sugar
1 cup raw peanuts
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBS. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

You will need a microwave-proof container that will hold 2 quarts. 

Stir together the peanuts, sugar, syrup and salt. Microwave on high for 8 minutes, stirring after 4 minutes.
Add the butter and vanilla and stir. Microwave for an additional 2 minutes. Add the baking soda and stir gently until the mixture is light and foamy.
Pour the mixture out onto a warm, buttered pan or a pan lined with aluminum foil. Let it cool before breaking it into pieces.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I'm making that tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought peanut brittle could be so easy. Have always avoided making it because I thought it was difficult and the weather had to be just right. I'm trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for tis Phillip! I made peanut brittle a couple of times the old fashoned way and decided that it was way too much work. Your method makes it look lots simpler. Off to the kitchen to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm one of my favorite things in the world. I will have to try this. I never have made it because it is so time consuming, margins for error etc. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful!

    Happy Holidays, Phillip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh-oh...it could be very dangerous that I know about this...I'm a Peanut Brittle Fiend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a non-cooker for the most part but -
    HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts