Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Rain, glorious rain!


I'm doing a big happy dance today because last night we got 4" of rain! I went to bed grumpy because it had thundered and rained around us all evening and all we got was a sprinkle. This is not the first time this has happened. Anyway, I was awakened by a severe thunderstorm around midnight. This morning - a big 4" - and possibly some more tonight?

I was talking to my friend Rebecca last night who said that she was going to do a nude rain dance. I must call and thank her for that!



Comments

  1. Hey,I know how you feel. We got some rain too after ages and ages of not getting anything (like all summer). Soooo happy now.

    Nice garden photos! Cheers, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phillip and thanks for visiting my blog. Your rain photos are very nice. I like the hardscapes in your garden. Nothing like a birdbath to show off the beautiful rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phillip,

    I see by your post here that you had a 'frog strangler. ' I hear from my friends nearby you that you've had the worse drought in history. I did a post on it today and was wondering if you could tell us how you've managed to keep your beautiful garden alive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts