Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Alabama Snow Wreath


{{{This post was written for my website A Southern Garden}}}

This shrub is blooming beautifully in my garden today!

Alabama Snow Wreath
(Neviusia alabamensis)

Native to the southeastern U.S.
Mature Height: 3-6 ft.
Growth Rate: Moderate
Soil: Moist, well-drained, not picky
Light Requirements: Sun/partial shade
Foliage: 1" - 2" long medium green leaves, deciduous, alternate with sharp-toothed margins
Flower/Fruit: White protruding stamens in early spring
Hardy to Zone 4

Discovered in 1857 by Reverend Reuben Denton Nevius on a bluff above the Black Warrior River near Tuscaloosa, this is a rare shrub not often seen in nurseries or gardens. I obtained mine from a local nursery that specializes in native plants but it can also be purchased at Forest Farm (www.forestfarm.com).

The shrub forms arching branches that eventually form a rounded mound. The flowers (which are actually stamens) appear very early, as soon as other plants are leafing out. They resemble a spirea or maybe a loropetalum in appearance. I have mine growing underneath a yoshino cherry tree where it receives dappled shade. It has bloomed reliably but never densely (more profuse bloom would probably be achieved with more sun). I have been told that the shrub can sucker in rich, moist soils but so far, this has not been a problem.

After blooming, the shrub is fairly nondescript and there is no fall color. Alabama Snow Wreath would be right at home in a woodland garden or in a border mixed with other early spring-flowering shrubs.

Comments

  1. Phillip,
    It's a beautiful flowering shrub that I have admired in my gardening books...does it have any fragrance?

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. This flower reminds me of my Virgin's Bower one .. nice !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail, sadly there is no fragrance.

    Thanks Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The folers remind me of a fothergilla that i have. The leaves look simular also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant flowers. I need to proof read before I hit the button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh nice one! I have read about this plant but haven't ever seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the information. I purchased two of these at a plant sale yesterday because we love to add native plants to our garden, but no one I talked to could tell me anything about them. This is just what I needed. Your garden is beautiful!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know an online site where I can purchase it? I garden in northern Delaware.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts