Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Bird ID help needed

I've been counting birds for the Bird Count and I don't know who this little fellow is. I know some of you out there can tell me. :)






Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Looks like a junco to me. They're a winter bird here in Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you asked this, and that Benjamin took the time to answer. We have small flocks of these little ones visit our home here in SC, and I'd never seen them before and was clueless as to their id. Now I can follow up with junco as my starting point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty little Junco. We called them snow birds when we were small here in Ohio. Seemed they just showed up in the winter just as the snows came. I love photographing birds nut I have the worst time trying to get the eyes to show up on the dark headed birds. The Juncos give me fits to try to photograph when they are in the snow trying to get the light right to show their eyes. Wonderful photos! Have fun with your counting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Dark-eyed Junco it is .. Great fun counting all the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree it's a dark-eyed junco, but feel compelled to add that they look a bit different in Michigan--the gray is more solid, less stripey. Um, because I knew you wanted to know this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also thought "junco." Saw a few for the first time in our yard this winter, and had a tough time id'ing them because they weren't on our regional common bird lists.

    Good for you for doing the count!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love birders. So helpful, so honest, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Junco. They arrive late fall and stay through the winter here. They don't use the bird feeders - they like to forage around the garden.

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everybody! I'm a bit surprised because I didn't know we had those here. Cameron, I always see them on the driveway, never at the feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've taken to tossing seeds in the lawn where I don't mind them germinating if they last through the winter. The juncos swarm those areas a few times a day. I'd never really noticed them before this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw our first junco yesterday! :D I had to look it up in our bird book lol. Neat little things :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the first year I've seen so many dark-eyed juncos in my yard, Phillip. And as far as bluejays go, I've seen 2 the entire season. Most unusual. My most numerous is the bluebird and I get about 17 of those. I think they live right around here because they know they have lots of good eats;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts