Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Triple Chocolate Buche de Noel (Yule Log)


Until a few years ago, we were heavily into Christmas - trees and decorations in every room, lights all over the place, and a grand party every year for our friends, family and co-workers. Well, it was fun while it lasted but then it got to where it was a chore and not so much fun. So we stopped - completely. We sold most of our Christmas decorations and now only have one main tree, which has not been put up for the past two years. I do miss the decorations but not the work that went into it. And I miss our big party - even though I'm not a party person and it always made me a nervous wreck. 

My favorite thing was preparing the food for the party and one dessert I always made was a yule log. I still make it every year. It is beautiful and fun to do and not as hard as you'd think. Most of all, it is quite delicious - the combination of chocolate and Kahlua is divine. I found this recipe somewhere on the Internet and thank goodness I printed it out because a recent search failed to bring it up again.


Ingredients:


Cake:
2/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
5 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
2 TBS. brewed coffee
2 TBS. Kahlua
2 TBS. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda


Filling:
4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
2 c. powdered sugar
2 TBS. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (1 ounce) square semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 - 1 c. chopped pecans (optional)


Frosting:
1 c. powdered sugar
4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
2/3 c. chocolate chips
1 TBS. Kahlua


Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 10x15 jelly roll plan. Line with parchment. Sift flour with baking powder and salt and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs on high for 5 minutes. Gradually add in the sugar and beat for another 2 minutes. Gently but thoroughly fold in the flour mixture.

Melt the unsweetened chocolate squares in a double boiler. In a small bowl, combine the coffee, Kahlua, 2 TBS. sugar and the baking soda. Gradually stir into the melted chocolate blending until smooth. Fold chocolate mixture into the batter.

Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 12-15 minutes.

While the cake is baking, lightly sift an even layer of powdered sugar onto a clean flat-weave cloth (not terry cloth).

When the cake is done, flip it onto the cloth as soon as it comes out of the oven. Carefully peel away the parchment paper. Dust the top of the cake lightly with powdered sugar, then trim away the edges with a sharp knife.


Starting with the short side of the cake, immediately roll the cake up in the cloth and cool it completely on a baking rack.


Make the filling: Melt the semi-sweet chocolate in a double boiler. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Beat until fluffy. Beat in the melted chocolate.

Unroll the cake after it has cooled and spread the filling evenly. If you are using pecans, sprinkle them over the filling. Roll the cake back up (not in the towel!) and cool.

Make the frosting: Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Set aside. Beat cream cheese with powdered sugar until smooth, then blend in the Kahlua and the melted chocolate.

Frost the cake leaving the ends unfrosted.

The log can then be decorated with chocolate bark, cherries, etc.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Wow Phillip..that's too pretty to eat! I know what you mean about scaling back. I have really simplified Christmas a lot since meeting Glen. I think I was trying to fill a void in my life before I met him...always over the top with Christmas decorating. Now I only do what I love (and suffer much less stress). Merry Christmas to you and Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this is one of my favorite desserts ever since French class in highschool. Tres magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter how easy you say that is to make it still LOOKS hard lol. I tried to make a cream cheese pumpkin roll once (made sort of the same way) and it tasted good but it definitely wasn't pretty LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so refreshing to let it all go, isn't it? In a previous life, I was the Queen of Christmas, as was my mother before me. Now it all seems so exhausting. I see why you still make the Yule log, it sounds scrumptious. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phillip, This looks too good to eat, i know its delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Phillip!

    Yum. I love that thing. It is so pretty, and delicious, I remember. I also just looked at recent posts with your chocolate mint cookies and toffee. Todd and Z love chocolate mint. I might have to try those. Can I fit in one more thing? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh!!! I love to make my buche de noel at Christmas! Yours looks absolutely delightful - and thank you for posting your recipe. I may have to try a chocolate filling this year - mine is usually a vanilla-bourbon buttercream. This dessert is so festive, always makes everyone go "WOW!", and tastes sooooo good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Yule Log is beautiful and looks delicious Phillip! I understand about all the hard work of this season. I can go years without putting up a tree and then it comes from my land . . . some pines I let grow for that purpose. I do enjoy bringing the forest into the house and smelling the greens. Enjoy your less stressful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh geez, there go the hips again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - that is gorgeous! I've always wanted to make one of these. I make a sweet potato roll that is similar, and I've always wanted to make one with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks beautiful.
    Enjoy Christmas the way you wish to celebrate it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds divine! I am a chocolate lover so I am looking forward to making this. Thanks for sharing and hope you have a magical holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks great. I found myself trying to convert it to dairy and gluten free. I don't know if I could do it.

    As far as doing the big party, we must let go of those things which we no longer enjoy. Maybe a smaller party next year? I can see camellia blossoms floating in bowls. Merry Christmas.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Philip,

    creative cakes, it looks real plants.

    Just like to share with you a beautiful quote...

    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer

    You can get more happiness quotes at http://www.quotelandia.com/category/Happiness

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Phillip,

    Ok, I've printed out the buche de noel recipe, so that is one step done. I have a house full tomorrow and am considering doing this with my helpers.

    I too became overloaded with decorating and teaching classes for the holidays. I've scaled waaaay back and am feeling more in control of life, but hey, if you have a party.....

    Sending all joys to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts