Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

March flowers

Edgeworthia (Chinese Paper Bush)
Tulips 
Carolina Jessamine
Epimedium 




Hellebore
Hellebore




















Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. What a delight to see these lovely photos... I love your photography and your plants! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I admire the photos of your blooms. Waiting for your posts on roses. I am a fan of your roses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your March blooms are wonderful..things will be blooming all over before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful spring blooms Phillip. I see several I can't grow here. It is fun seeing them. A little frustrating too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely flowers Phillip. Your blog looks different. Did you change the banner? Where did you get your mulch?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Our tulips have just started blooming. A frost got us last night though which may delay things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring looks great in your garden. Those hellebores are wonderful. What are they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the epimedium! I have one, not as far along here as yours is ... they're so sturdy and reliable yet so delicate and fragile-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments everybody!

    MMD, not exactly sure. They were from a hybrid collection mix.

    Rebecca, I changed the Blogger template. Not sure if I'm happy with it. The mulch came from the landfill over by the Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. C.C., I am loving them too. I planted more varieties last year but I haven't seen blooms yet. They are very tough and very drought tolerant which is also a big plus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chinese Paper Bush, that is a new one to me! To bad it is zone 7 or I know what my next purchase would be!
    If you have more photos of your I would LOVE to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Piękne ciemierniki Phillipie .Moje już tez pokazały swoje kwiatki ,ale bardzo podobają mi się o kolorze bordo .Pozdrawiam Bogusia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for it to warm up here. We're getting snow. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post...especially fond of the Epimedium...what a wonderful, versatile plant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! Epimedium is yet another plant that's been on my to-get list (getting longer every day). It looks so dainty but I've read that it's very tough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. March looks beautiful in your garden. Great photography, I enjoyed looking at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love seeing the bright colors in your garden. I have blooms on my Alabama snow wreath you gave me. It is a lovely shrub and seems to like it's spot. Thanks for being the nice garden friend you are. Oh and I'm loving the Alabama Gardener magazine too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hellebore looks similar to one I have called Red Lady. My dwarf iris are blooming. The tall bearded one I planted at ECM should be in bloom by Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful as always, Phillip - love the colors, especially the sweet Epidemium blossoms.

    Changing the template sounds like a very spring thing to do!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goodness Phillip, I envy you those double hellebores. I only have one double, and she's taking a long time to get going. This is her third year in the garden. Viburnum 'Mohawk' is a beauty too. Happy Spring. I've got so much to do. How about you?~~Dee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts