Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Green Neighbors Natural Garden Tour

Plitt garden (Vancouver, Washington)

A few weeks ago, we went on the Green Neighbors Natural Garden Tour which featured ten eco-friendly gardens in the Vancouver (Clark County) area. We saw all but two gardens and got a chance to see parts of the county that we had not visited before, like Washougal, which reminded us a lot of North Carolina.


The gardens ranged in size, from larger ones with more than an acre to very tiny ones. All of the gardeners practiced sustainable gardening techniques (no chemicals, pesticides or herbicides).


This small front garden was a rain garden and a good example of how to prevent storm water runoff. This is something I am interested in. I have been thinking about ways to add a rain barrel to catch water that would otherwise be wasted. We have gutters all around our house but I know there has to be a way around that.
I loved the color combinations here. I am suddenly a big fan of orange, a color that I tended to stay away from in our formal garden. (Garden of Barbara Samuels)
This beautiful combination was in the only garden (Brenda Wilson) on the tour located near our neighborhood.
The Ferguson garden in Washougal was located on the banks of a river and was full
of wildflowers and herbs.

Brenda Calvert's garden in Brush Prairie had chickens, bees, an orchard and large vegetable garden.
A beautiful Sumac ('Tiger Eyes') in the garden of Monica Zapulla.


We almost skipped the Karen Plitt garden in Brush Prairie because we thought it was too far away but I am so glad we ventured on. It was the largest garden with several ponds, water features and beautiful perennials and native plants.


This was a fun tour and very educational. It is an opportunity to see how gardeners in the area use sustainable techniques to keep our environment safe and still have beautiful gardens. And it was free! I will be looking forward to next years tour.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Wow. I love the colors in that birdbath too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like this wa a great tour with so much inspiration. Thank you for your comments on my blog. The Cameleon Plant is indeed invasive for a lot of people but it has never been a problem for me. The only thing I can think of is that my soil tends to be really dry. As for your Fuchsia, it may not bloom very well in full shade. I've found that they do best with 2-4 hours of sunlight, preferably AM sunshine, with consistently moist soil. (Yes my water bill is crazy high.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I like the first picture so much. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting that you became a fan of orange after moving here. The same thing happened to me! I wonder if it's something to do with the quality of PNW light. Or maybe the lack of bright sunlight for so much of the year makes us crave an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I think it might be the quality of the light. The colors seem so much vibrant here. I am thinking about using a lot of orange and purple combinations in the new garden.

      Delete
  5. I like orange too. It sings out loud in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orange and red have grown on me too. Looks like you had a great time on the tour; thanks for sharing the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, that sumac is pretty. Tempted to try one, but I've heard that Rhus typhina (the species that 'Tiger Eyes' is part of) can sucker rampantly...though Tiger Eyes is supposedly tamer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, and positive proof one can have a beautiful garden without using harmful chemicals!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts