Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Joy Creek Nursery

joy-creek-nursery-20

This was my second visit to Joy Creek Nursery - the first being on my very first trip to Portland three years ago. It is my favorite nursery and far enough away (about 30-40 minutes depending on traffic) to keep me out of trouble. Their plant selection is incredible. They specialize in a number of plants - hydrangeas, fuchsias, clematis (just to name a few) - and they have a tremendous number of varieties.

Their display gardens are reason enough to visit even if you don't plant on buying plants (although I would dare you to leave without getting something - it is just too irresistible).


joy-creek-nursery-13
The hydrangeas were at their peak this past weekend.

joy-creek-nursery-11
This beautiful purple one (I did not see the name) looks great next to a stand of Queen of the Prairie (Filipendula rubra).

joy-creek-nursery-16
'Pia', a low growing variety, is on my wish list.

joy-creek-nursery-12
I could not find the name of this powder-blue lacecap variety.

joy-creek-nursery-5
Michael had a conniption over the pale violet hydrangea on the right. We could not find the name of it either and forgot to ask later.

joy-creek-nursery-4
What a view! The nursery is located in Scappoose, Oregon, a rural area to the west of Portland.

joy-creek-nursery-3
A viburnum literally covered with berries.

joy-creek-nursery-9

joy-creek-nursery-8

joy-creek-nursery-1

joy-creek-nursery-10
Another plant I forgot to ask about. I love the ferny foliage on this shrub.

joy-creek-nursery-14
The colorful coneflowers (Rudbeckia) were eye-popping. That is a rugosa rose in the background.

joy-creek-nursery-15

joy-creek-nursery-7

joy-creek-nursery-18
We managed some restraint and came home with six plants. This was one of them - Calla Lily (Zantedeschia 'Flame'). I have started a list for my next visit!

Here is Michael standing next to what has to be one of the world's largest 'Annabelle' hydrangeas!


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Wow,that Annabelle is huge. Mine has never been that tall. It does spread wider yearly. I don't mind because she is so pretty. Love that flame calla lily. I have a bright yellow one that lives here. I was surprised that it wintered over. I am tempted to move it to a different place so I can see it more easily. I am afraid to move it because it might not live. I have a favorite nursery but it is an hour and 45 minutes away. Thank goodness. I make a pilgrimage there every spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful collection of Hydrangeas, truly hard to pick a favorite. The orange Calla Lili is gorgeous! I especially with the spiky purple something-or-other in front of it (veronica?). You came home with 6 plants and no picture of your haul?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mail-ordered quite a few things from them and have been so happy with the service and good prices. Nice to see that the place also looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, sigh! So beautiful. The photo of the orange callas with the purple veronica(?) below and purple clematis above--oooh!

    Yes, we have to see what plants you got. This is garden blogging: there are rules. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Just amazing plants. Sigh......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts