Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

August blooms

nicotiana-fragrant-cloud


I missed the August Bloom Day because I was in Alabama. The garden looks decent despite the terrible weather. Portland broke the record for the number of days over 90 degrees - 29! Blah! That plus the fact that there has been little rain since June. Michael has been great at keeping everything watered. There would be lots of dead plants if not for him.

We are now back to 70-ish temperatures and even had a light sprinkle last night. Still, no significant rain in the forecast.

artichoke
Artichoke blooms are finishing up.
 I think these would make interesting dried flowers. Anyone tried that?


allium-millineum
Just brought one of these home from work.
This is Allium 'Millinium', the Perennial of the Year for 2018. 

blanket-flower-lavender
Lavender and Blanket Flower


aster-kickin-purple
The asters are starting to bloom again. This one is 'Kickin' Purple'.
achillea-terra-cotta
Achillea (Yarrow) 'Terra Cotta'


candy-lily-2
Candy Lily (Iris x noorsii)
clematis-multi-blue
Clematis 'Multi-Blue'


clematis-multi-blue-2
The spent flowers are as pretty as the full ones.
clematis-proteus
Clematis 'Proteus' and Joe Pye Weed


fuchsia-cardinal
Fuchsia 'Cardinal'
hebe
An unidentified Hebe, Euphorbia myrsinites and Potentilla 'Fireball'


heliotrope
The first year I grew Heliotrope, the plants were robust. This year, they are rather puny but blooming well. I am not sure why. 
hydrangea-pistachio
Hydrangea 'Pistachio'

kniphofia-poco-sunset
Another new Kniphofia, this one called 'Poco Sunset'


pineapple-lily
Pineapple Lily (Eucomis), my first time growing these. 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Yea for Michael! He sure kept things going while you were gone. I thought it had been awfully quiet out your way. I was hoping you weren't embroiled with the fires that seem to be everywhere out West. I see that you are growing some of those NW special flowers now. They always amaze me. My clematis 'Multi Blue' is rising from the dead. I need a Michael that waters. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms! Did you visit your former garden while you were in Alabama?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing what unique plants you’ll be highlighting here, and as us, I wasn’t disappointed. That hydrangea has such interesting coloring! I’ve always wanted to grow an artichoke just for those flowers. And what’s a hebe? Never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, they are small shrubs (perennials?) that are evergreen and have small flowers. There are a lot of different types and some look different from others. They are a bit tender here and are tricky to grow.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Phil Iannarelli here. I see you got an ancient garden god sculpture to protect your garden. Hello again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts