Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Mid February in the garden


While the pots await their new occupants, the mid-February garden is sleeping soundly. It has been cold and wet during the past weeks but we've had two days in a row with no rain and even some sun. Although it is cold out (low 40s for the highs), once you get moving about, I don't notice it unless the wind is blowing. Fortunately, it has not been windy either so I've been doing some winter pruning and transplanting.

Looking around the garden, there are some nice things to see -



Viburnum 'Spring Bouquet' (above) is an all-season beauty but it is especially stunning during the dead of winter.



Mugo Pine 'Aurea', one of our favorites, and we are a bit perturbed that Ceanothus 'Julia Phelps' in encroaching upon it. (On the other side of the fence is Viburnum 'Spring Bouquet', mentioned previously.


The pine 'Golden Ghost' (Pinus densiflora) continues to stun. I have to say this is one of the most beautiful plants I have ever grown.





Juniper 'Daube's Frosted' (above) is also very pretty this time of year. This is a low-growing juniper.



Pieris 'Valley Frost' (above) is another plant that looks great all year.


Spirea 'Ogon' next to Phormium (New Zealand Flax) 'Rainbow Queen')


And finally, the ornamental grasses are a winter favorite of mine. I could not bear to cut them down just yet. Maybe in a few weeks. This is Panicum 'Shenandoah'.



The asters are also quite attractive in winter. That is Pennisetum alopecuriodes 'Hameln'.



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. That viburnum! Mine isn't showing any white flowers yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beauty you have in the garden during winter. I keep forgetting you are in such a warm area. You are lucky not to have been blasted with the snow that has swept through your part of the country. Those empty pots look so promising. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of pretty going on in your garden! Snowmageddon laid our grasses flat so they've been getting an earlier-than-usual haircut. Will you be coming up to the Northwest Flower and Garden Festival?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I won't be making it this year. Maybe next year!

      Delete
  4. Both your conifers are stunning. They especially shine during winter's gloomy weather. North Seattle snow was/is slow to melt: I need to venture into the garden to see if my Spirea is starting to set buds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts