Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

My Favorite Plant This Week - California Lilac

When I first visited Portland in 2013, one of the plants that caught my attention was a shrub smothered with vibrant blue flowers. I saw it everywhere - in sun, shade, hellstrips - and had no idea what it was. Later, I discovered the name - Ceanothus - commonly referred to as "California Lilac" or "Wild Lilac". There are numerous cultivars, ranging from giants that soar to 12 feet or more ("Victoria") to groundcover types that stay below 2 feet. In addition to size differences, they can also vary in bloom and leaf color.

Of course when I started my garden three years later, Ceanothus was at the top of my list. I stumbled across the "Julia Phelps" variety at Tsugawa Nursery and planted it on March 17, 2016. They are fast-growing and this is what she looked like last year -



Fast forward one year later - this year -



Yes, it is getting a little bit out of control. But what a beauty! In their native California, they grow on rocky slopes. They thrive on little water and full sun (in fact, most gardeners have told me not to touch it during the summer months no matter how dry it gets). And never fertilize them! In addition to being a traffic stopper, bees love it. If there is a drawback, it is that they do not have long lives (usually less than 10 years).

The flower buds begin to swell in mid to late April and it seems to take forever for them to open. They open gradually and the color intensifies as the temperatures rise. Michael, who gets up with the birds, says he likes to sit at the kitchen table and watch the color change as the sunrise gradually gets higher. Of course, the color is very magical right before sunset.

There are three other Ceanothus in our garden. Ceanothus thysiforus 'Black Diamond' has beautiful variegated foliage and bright blue flowers. This one is also a vigorous grower that has reached 6 ft. in 3 seasons. We have hacked this one back, before being told that pruning is tricky for them, but this one does not seem to mind and shoots new growth out immediately.

Ceanothus 'Black Diamond'



Ceanothus impressus 'Vandenberg' was planted just last year and came from Yard N' Garden Land where I work. It was looking sickly and I rescued it, thinking that it probably would not make it. However, it is performing nicely along the hellstrip. So far, it is not near as showy as Julia.

Ceanothus impressus 'Vandenberg'

And lastly, Ceanothus foliosus 'Berryhill', a groundcover type that I got at Joy Creek Nursery. Sadly, this one has never bloomed. I love the form and shape of it so I'm not giving up on it yet.

Ceanothus foliosus 'Berryhill'
Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. What an interesting shrub. No wonder you like it, those blooms! I think you can do anything to plants and they will grow for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, it's been 3 years already? The slow opening of the Ceanothus flowers gives the shrub different hues along the way. I find it mesmerizing. Although Berryhill isn't as showy (yet?) as Julia, I'm glad you put it in the post; it gives a glimpse of the amazing terraced slops of your garden. I'd love to see a more detailed view :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly, your Ceanothus are glorious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of Ceanothus before -- here on the east coast. It's beautiful. Fragrant like lilacs?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts