Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day for June 2019

June is the month for roses and clematis, one of my favorite times of the year. June is like May in Alabama and it has taken me a while to get used to it but I do love the long Spring! The weather has been more like it should be here although we did get a brief hot spell (99 and 100!) for two days but then it went back to normal. Normally, even after a very hot day, it quickly cools down after the sun sets, so much that you need warmer clothing. On the hot days, however, it stayed pretty warm late into the night. We were afraid our air conditioning unit was going to die from overkill since we haven't used it this year. 

Clematis 'Jackmanii Superba' adorns one side of the front gate, intermingling with the climbing rose 'Dublin Bay' at the bottom. You can barely see Clematis 'Madame Julia Correvon' on the opposite side but it is blooming nicely this year. This is one of those so-called "red" clematis that, I'm sorry to say, isn't red but what I would call "wine". I am still searching for that elusive true red clematis. I have my sights set on "Rebecca" which sounds promising but I haven't been able to locate that one yet.

Elsewhere in the garden (and I will hold off on the roses for now and post them in another post) -


Speaking of clematis, this is one of my favorites - Clematis durandii which is more of a shrub type clematis instead of a climber. 

Penstemon 'Pocahontas', transplanted earlier this year and doing beautifully in its new spot. That is a clumping bamboo behind it. It was here when we moved in.

Deutzia 'Nikko'

Mimulus cardinalis (Scarlet Monkey Flower)

We have a lot of fuchsias in pots on our deck and last fall I decided to plant several of them in the ground. They all sailed through the winter (even though some of the potted ones held in the garage did not make it). This is one of my favorites - 'Golden Gate'. 

This is a new one for me - Isotoma fluviatilis 'Beth's Blue' (Star Flower). I almost bought it last year at our nursery but did not, so this year, here it is. The label says it is hardy to zone 7 even though we sell it in our the annuals section. 

And another new annual for me - Painted Tongue (Salpiglossis sinuata)



Stachys macrantha 'Superba' (Big Betony), a perennial I planted the first year we were here (2016) and it is just now blooming.

Lavender 'Provence'

Parahebe - this plant has really grown on me and it is looking quite spectacular this year. 

Sea Holly (Eryngium zabellii 'Big Blue')


Showy Milkweed (Asclepias speciosa) - the vigor of this plant kind of frightens me. 

I believe this plant may be the biggest bee magnet in the garden - Veronica longifolia 'Vernique White')

Monardella macrantha 'Marion Sampson', an unusual plant I purchased recently from Far Reaches Farm. 

Salvia 'Amistad'


Salvia 'Eveline'


Potentilla 'Fireball' 

Another clematis - 'Multi-Blue'

Gardener's Bloom Day is hosted by May Dreams Gardens. You can go there and get links to other garden blooms across the country.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Seeing your Jackmanii all the way to the top of the arbor makes me realize I need to get the trellis that mine grows on up higher. I have thought about doing that before but didn't ever do that. I must... Your blooms are lovely. Lots of blues here this month. Some plants I haven't heard of but do appreciate. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pergola in the beginning just stuck my eyeballs to it ...Beautiful post ..
    Happy Blooms day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy the variety of well-known and lesser-knowns that you present from your garden. Not disappointed with these photos.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts