Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

The fence and streetside



Happy June - is it really here already? On my last post, I shared some photos of the front garden. Here is a slight extension of that - outside the fence and along the street. I call this area the "hellstrip" although technically, it is not a separate entity, just more of the border.


This area is seen by many but rarely by ourselves except when going to the mailbox. There are often people walking by and since there is a school right at the end of our street, we see lots of school kids walking to and from school. 


I've tried to keep the plantings here low-growing and although there is a soaker hose covering some of the area, most of the plants were selected for drought tolerance. This area is also in full sun all day long.


Junipers 'Daub's Frosted' anchors each side of the strip and dotted and repeated in between are some ornamental grasses (Pennisetum 'Hameln' and Panicum virgatum 'Shenandoah'), spirea, and one California Lilac (Ceanothus 'Vandenberg').

Perennials have done well too although I have lost a few Yarrow (Achillea 'Terra Cotta') - how does one kill a yarrow? I blame the dense shade of Ceanothus 'Julia Phelps' as well as planting them in the middle of summer. Still, only one or two died. Surprisingly, geraniums have performed well here too. I have large drifts of both 'Rozanne' and Geranium cantabrigense 'Jans' planted in large drifts. Salvia nemerosa 'Carradonna', a fabulous plant, flanks the gate entrance.

Another odd choice for this area were two 'Spring Bouquet' viburnums which have been absolutely beautiful but I don't know what I was thinking when putting them here. So far, no pruning has been required and they seem to not mind the sun at all.

There are a few roses although actually only one planted in the strip itself. It is 'Robin Hood', the rose we loved in our Alabama garden. Oddly, this one (which I found at Annie's Annuals) looks slightly  different in color and behavior. I haven't investigated the matter fully but think it must be due to different climates. The other roses spill over from the other side of the fence ('Lady of Shallot', 'Radway Sunrise' and 'Don Juan')


A few groundcovers - mainly thyme - fill in along the edges. A great groundcover and one that I just discovered is California Fuchsia (Zauschneria septentrionalis 'Select Mattole'). Drought tolerant, continuous bloom and hummingbird loving, this is a winner. Although Santolina ericoides looked fantastic in its first year, there was so much die-back over the winter that I removed it this year. I plan to add some orange 'Profusion' zinnias this year.

Zauschneria septentrionalis 'Select Mattole'

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Your front garden beds look wonderful! You said you get foot traffic, and I'm wondering if you get people picking flowers? That's a problem I get. I also get people, maybe kids (I live near a school too) throwing trash like candy wrappers into my beds. This is such a perfect time of year, before everything gets so hot and dry in the summer. About your viburnums, I have heard that our full sun is not equal to full sun anywhere else. Many plants that they say require shade or part shade do ok in our full sun because of the heavy cloud cover we get most of the time or the position of the sun because we're so far north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I have not noticed anyone picking flowers. I do occasionally find litter but really not that much. You are correct about the "full sun" here. It is definitely not the same. I was (and am still) amazed at seeing plants like camellias, mountain laurels and pieris growing in full sun.

      Delete
  2. This is a continuation of your beautiful garden. An outstanding hell strip. I am surprised that with a school nearby there are no sidewalks in your neighborhood. Lucky neighbors and school children getting to see your gorgeous garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, it is a bit surprising and I don't know why we don't have them. Our street is a bit wider than many of the surrounding ones. I think that it might have been wider for the school buses.

      Delete
  3. You certainly have an eye for planting the choicest, most colorful plants for each season. Lovely to look at. Here in SoCal the viburnum doesn't get any water, but, of course, does better with it. It is on the north side of the house, shaded in winter, but not in summer. I prune the flowers off right after they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful. How lucky your walk-about neighbors are to stroll past this scene every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If that is "hell", how wonderful must heaven be?

    'Select Mattole' doesn't look anywhere near as beautiful here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an eye candy! I too am surprised there aren't sidewalks... such a lush garden I'm certain people would walk by, wide eyed enjoying the view. Even though your garden is young, it looks filled-in and more mature then 3 years. I wish you added a "before" pictures, as the change has been so dramatic.
    Zauschneria septentrionalis 'Select Mattel' moved into my Want list immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People passing by must really appreciate there is so much to see - and all your hard work which makes it so dense and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really beautiful ! If I lived in your neighborhood I would be on frequent strolls with a nice glass of wine to monitor the progress. Kudos to you !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my, it is gorgeous. You need to submit some pics to Garden Photo of the Day. https://www.finegardening.com/series/garden-photo-of-the-day

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts