Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

The Joy of Hydrangeas at Joy Creek

A trio of hydrangea lovelies in the Joy Creek display garden

Joy Creek Nursery in Scappoose, Oregon is one of my favorite nurseries and I go there every chance I get. Every year, they have a program about hydrangeas (they sell over 100 varieties!) and a tour of their fantastic display gardens. 

First, a bit about geography - when you look at the map you can see that Scappoose is actually located northwest of us (the red square shows where we live, the red star is Scappoose). To get there, we must go south to Portland and cut across which isn't too bad because immediately after we cross the bridge into Portland, we take the first exit, which takes us to St. Johns and then we get on Hwy. 30 and over to Scappoose. I have never understood this as it feels like we are heading due west instead of north. Despite my confusion, it is a nice, scenic drive and the area has a rural vibe despite the close proximity to Portland.




The hydrangeas are really nice this year but they seem to be spectacular every year here. They just love the Pacific Northwest climate. We had over 40 varieties of hydrangea in our former garden and do not have much space left for them here. I did purchase one this time at Joy Creek - it is called 'Rotdrossel', a very tall lacecap with rich purple blooms. 

Here are some of the hydrangeas that were showcased on the recent tour (I did not get the names of all of these) -


Hydrangea serrata 'Caerulean Lace' 

Hydrangea 'Merritt's Red'

Hydrangea serrata 'Preziosa' 





Hydrangea aspera - a spectacular plant that gets huge here


Other beautiful plants on display -

Kniphofia

Dierema (Angel's Fishing Rod)

Rudbeckia and Rugosa roses in the back

Ligularia

One of my favorite trees and one I'd love to have in our garden although I have no idea where it would go - Golden Catalpa (Catalpa bignonioides)

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I just love hydrangeas. With all the rain we received this spring my hydrangeas have done their best this year. I can see that they do like all the rain you get out there in the PNW. That must be why some of mine sulk. You showed much restraint just purchasing one while looking at all of these tasty morsels. That catalpa is a beauty but I bet it gets huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos. I was there just last weekend and saw some of the same plants. I know some people cut back/pollard Catalpa every year, it makes the leaves on the new growth huge. But it probably also shortens the life of the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Lisa, my hydrangeas have been better than ever this year. Those are pretty spectacular ones at Joy Creek and the other plants are pretty good too. It's kind of hard when one's garden space is approaching saturation point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to visit Joy Creek with the GB Fling and will always remember the beauty of the Clematis, Hydrangeas, and they were also at that time trialing a whole giant mass of different Rudbeckias which were a blast to photograph.

    Your Hydrangea photos bring it all back! Gorgeous inspiring nursery, like no other.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts