Skip to main content

Featured

Upcoming Plant Sales

There will be FOUR events in the next few weeks, so mark your calendars and be sure to stop by one (or all!) of them. All proceeds help benefit our local schools. Each of the sales will offer native plants (note that some are not on the Portland Plant List). Please see below for more details about each sale! Fort Vancouver High School Plant Sale: Wednesday, April 24, 8am-6pm, Thursday, April 25, 8am-5pm and Friday, April 26, 8am-4pm Native plants available: Trees:  Cascara, Oregon White Oak, Vine Maple, Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock, Western Red Cedar;  Shrubs:  Mock Orange, Flowering Red Currant, Red Twig Dogwood, Cascade Oregon Grape, Baldhip Rose, Nootka Rose, Douglas Spirea, Thimbleberry , Serviceberry, Red Elderberry, Blue Elderberry, Black Hawthorn, Salmonberry, Golden Currant, Smooth Sumac, Salal;  Groundcovers : Western Yarrow, Wild Ginger, Sword Fern, Goldenrod, Blue-Eyed Grass, Soft Fruited Bulrush, Tufted Hair Grass, Oregon Sunshine, Maidenhair Fern, Checkermallow, Sedum Spat

Ornamental Grasses


Calmagrostis x acutiflora 'Eldorado'
I have become increasingly fond of ornamental grasses and use them throughout the garden. They really begin to attract attention in late summer when they attain their full dimensions and sway in the breezes. Most all are beautiful in the fall as well and many bring vibrant color to the garden. And they are so undemanding!

I have tried to place a few grasses as recurring plants throughout the garden and then there are individual ones that I've just stuck here and there. Most all are in the ground with the exception of the Feather Reed Grass 'Eldorado' (at right) which is doing rather well on the shady deck and pergola. I also use various Carex in some of our containers. 

One reason I've fallen so hard for grasses is because the nursery where I work has a huge selection and we are always getting interesting ones to tempt me. I also have a co-worker who is extremely knowledgeable about them so anytime I have a question, I just go to her.

Here are a few that I grow:




The fountain grasses (Pennisetum) are among my favorites. 'Karley Rose' is currently my favorite variety, about 3 feet tall with pink, reddish plumes although I've noticed this year that they are more white than pink. Perhaps it is the cooler temps this summer?

 Red Bunny Tails (Pennisetum massaicum 'Red Buttons') is another nice pennisetum, growing to about 2' x 2' with soft, beige plumes.

 
Pennisetum alopecuriodes 'Redhead' has robust, deep purple plumes. I've heard this one has a tendency to reseed so I will keep an eye on it.

The popular Feather Reed Grass 'Karl Foerster', named after the German nurseryman, is a regal specimen, standing ramrod straight and narrow, up to 6 feet or more. It really needs to be plantings in groupings for good effect.

It took me a while to warm up to this one. I generally don't care for plants that look dead but the sedge (Carex buchananii 'Red Fox'), sometimes referred to as 'Fox Red') has become really striking. I now have a very similar one called 'Red Rooster' and cannot tell the difference between the two. 

My favorite sedge is the Orange New Zealand Grass (Carex testacea), and I've planted drifts of it in numerous places. I like very much, however, I have noticed that it is getting larger than I expected

Carex elata 'Bowles Golden' is a great one for shady areas. 


One of my favorites for color is switchgrass 'Shenandoah' (Panicum virgatum ) that begins to display shades of burgundy in mid-summer. I have planted several outside the fence row alongside the street. This is a very upright growing grass, about 5 feet tall. 

Eulalia Grass (Miscanthus 'Gold Bar') is another candidate for narrow spaces. It grows upright to 4 - 5 feet in a narrow column. Mine has yet to flower but just look at the foliage!

Northern Sea Oats (Chasmanthium latifolium) is a grass I grew in my former garden and have just now added one here. It grows to about 2 - 3 feet tall and has stunning seed heads that hang in clusters. It turns a beautiful yellow color in fall. I've always heard that this one is prone to reseeding although I never had a problem with it in Alabama.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. 'Shenandoah' and 'Rotstrahlbusch' are two of my favorite Panicums, both pretty similar. If you have room for Stipa gigantea you should plant it, it really makes a statement. I do find northern sea oats seedlings occasionally, but not aggressively like I've heard. My experience with Carex testacea is that it eventually dies out, but it does make babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted orange New Zealand Carex all over... I love the color and it doesn't seem to reseed as aggressively as other Carex (which I'm trying to get rid of with some effort). I notice Reed Grass 'Karl Foerster' in many gardens, and I love it's bold presence. I just need to find a spot in the garden to show it in all it's glory.
    I'll be interested to know how the Northern Sea Oats behaves. There is no match to it's graceful arching seed pods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Northern Sea Oats and I find them everywhere. You can't let those seedlings get a hold of the soil or you will be fighting them. I am like you with those grasses that look dead. I can't wrap my mind around that. I love the look of the Bowles Golden Carex. I like those bright colors. You do have a nice collection of grasses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts